Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Preview high CPU behavior with PDFs

Hello everybody,

I really love the new Mac OS X Lion OS!

In adjusting and getting used to the new features and interface, I seem to have found some odd behavior with PDF files - namely one very large PDF that I have that is about 500M in size.

Whenever I open it in preview, my Macbook Pro's CPUs spike to 100% and stay that way for over an hour until I finally quit Preview. I can't even browse the PDF for the CPU spikeage. Luckily I use PDFpen and can open the PDF in that applicaiton, but I do love using Preview to read PDF files with and the full screen view.

I am thinking that the CPU spikeage is the PDF being indexed and in some way, the PDF is causing spotlight to spike all of my CPUs.

If I am patient, will it eventually finish? I really dislike keeping my Macbook Pro in the heavy CPU spikeage state. Maybe if I go into spotlight preferences and tell it not to index that file it will stop? Or maybe it has something to do with resume and version-saving?

Anyhow, if anyone can shed some light, that would be great!

Thanks for any responses.

Mark

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 4:16 AM

51 replies

Jul 27, 2011 5:30 AM in response to gooober

I've been having issues with Preview going out of control too (2011 15" MBP i7 2.2GHz 4GB RAM), but it's not limited to PDFs, it also went through the roof with a small jpg open yesterday (taken on my iPhone, so it wasn't exactly a big file).

Preview has been my preferred PDF viewer since I got my first MacBook in 2007; it's been great... but this sort of performance is a killer; it caused my CPU to jump 28 degrees in a rather short period.

Hope this gets resolved quickly in an upcoming update!

Aug 1, 2011 12:22 PM in response to gooober

I've noticed the same thing. In addition, Preview no longer opens files from the bookmark menu. Instead I get a message saying I don't have permission to view the file and that it's locked even though I'm the one who created it. when I go to "get info" it tells me I have full permission to work with the document and that it's unlocked. Because of this I'm changing to Skim pdf reader.

Aug 5, 2011 9:52 PM in response to gooober

Yeah, I hate it too. BUT I needed to get a job out and Preview was not cutting it for me. Since my last post, I rolled back to Snowy fer awhile till Lion (or my Macbook) grows up. Would love to stay on the Mac side of things but my business needs a program that only Windows can run. Oh well, BootCamp works well.

Aug 6, 2011 10:06 AM in response to gooober

Hi Goober,

no DRM...just my old PDF files made with Word or Illustrator...

totally open.

I could normally use Preview to see them with OSX 10.6.8.

One thing to notice is I have Adobe CS5 suite and several CS6 prerelease for testing.

In console I see this:

06/08/11 16:13:37,279 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x1c01c].com.apple.Preview[215]) Exited: Killed: 9

Hope these hints can help track it down !

Aug 9, 2011 6:25 AM in response to gooober

I am having exactly the same problem here. And the files are not that big (5 Mb to 50 Mb pdf's).

It is impossible to view or work with pdfs anymore with Preview! I loved the fullscreen mode, with the two pages panes.

I am using Safari instead of Preview now, until a fix is issued. It uses the fullscreen too and allows for a two pages panel.

Hope that helps!

Lion Preview high CPU behavior with PDFs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.