Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.7 Lion Server - DNS, Webserver configuration etc.

Dear all,

I just upgraded to Lion on one partition of my MacBook Pro from a SL client. This worked out fine, just as it should and I was happy ;-)

Now I also downloaded the Lion Server and installed Server Admin Tools to start configuring and finding out how it all works ...

Normally, when you setup a Mac Server the first thing is to get IP and DNS configuration running to make sure all works how it has to ...

What I want to do is to setup my Mac as a DNS, DHCP, OD, Web Server in my LAN.

The Server Name shall be mycomputer.home.lan and its address 192.168.1.10.

I tried to do this in Server Admin, Sharing and Network Preferences, but the changeip -checkhost command doesn't work, so there has to be something wrong with the configuration.

What I did on my MAC:

1) Set the computer-name in Sharing Preferences to mycomputer.home.lan

2) Manual configuration of MAC IP, Router, Subnet Mask, DNS-Servers (Router, MAC) in Network Configuration

3) Connect to server mycomputer.local in Server Admin and configure Network (Computer Name / Local Host Name to mycomputer)

4) Enable DNS Service and configure Settings (recursive queries from home.lan / forwarder IP 192.168.1.1) configure Zones (1.168.192.in-addr.arpa -> Reverse Zone / 192.168.1.10 reverse mapping to mycomputer.home.lan | home.lan -> Primary Zone /mycomputer.home.lan machine 192.168.1.10

Where did I mess up with the configuration?

Webserver:

Before Migration I had Apache running some sites in the main location (/Library/Webserver) and some in the Users Sites Folders on my SL client.

After Migration the Web-Server returns 'Errors Reading Settings' and don't want to start up!

Is it possible, that some files or the entire apache installation has been moved for Lion, as it allready was implemented a little different on SL Client and SL Server ...

Anyone can help?

Apple Remote Desktop:

I try to control a SL Server through a VPN-connection with VPN-Tracker (working) with Apple Remote Desktop (running). Unfortunately ARD is trying to connect but is not able to open the control window ...

Anyone has experienced the same?

Thank you for your participation in this discussion ...

All the best, Chris

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 4:17 AM

10 replies

Jul 23, 2011 9:35 AM in response to Oliver Gidigan

Hi Oliver,

changeip told me to use the command:

changeip 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.10 mycomputer mycomputer.home.lan

I did this and it now tells me, that everything is allright, but unfortunately it isn't!

dig - x 192.168.1.10 resolves fine, but neighter dig mycomputer nor dig mycomputer.home.lan resolve well.

As a consequence, creating an OD Master can not be created ...

At least I was able to also start the Wiki Server service ...

Hostname resolves now to mycomputer.home.lan

In the meantime I was able to connect with ARD, so this application seams to run just fine.

Still no news about the Apache Web-Server

Regards,

Chris

Jul 23, 2011 8:48 PM in response to Attic Chris

I cheated a little with mine.

I setup a clean install of Lion, and had an alternate server running with DNS.

I set the alternate server up to resolve the DNS correctly - both forward and reverse, as standard home ISP's don't provide reverse dns etc.

Once I installed Lion, I ensured all the networking settings were correct and it pointed to the alternate server for DNS. Software Update, NS Queries, tested all before running the server upgrade process. (I also took a back up for the Lion Install & Lion Server Installers.

If your going to have DNS setup - make sure you download the Server Admin tools before hand too - I now have the lot on a bootable USB.

Jul 28, 2011 10:38 AM in response to Attic Chris

My Boss just gave me the solution to my problem with the Apache Server on OS X Lion 10.7

I had to restore Apache to the factory settings and it started working again!

Command:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ServerFoundation.framework/Resources/xswebcon fig restorefactorysettings

Possibly Backup your /etc/apache2 directory:

sudo tar cvf /etc/apache2.tar /etc/apache2

I am still working on the configuration of different web-Sites on the same server ... There are not too many configuration options any more ...

Best, Chris

Aug 9, 2011 5:10 AM in response to Attic Chris

The problem is when I do

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ServerFoundation.framework/Resources/xswebcon fig restorefactorysettings

I get:

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _rb_vm_get_outer_stack

Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ServerFoundation.framework/Resources/xswebcon fig

Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MacRuby.framework/Versions/A/usr/lib/libmacru by.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _rb_vm_get_outer_stack

Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ServerFoundation.framework/Resources/xswebcon fig

Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MacRuby.framework/Versions/A/usr/lib/libmacru by.dylib

Any idea how to fix this?

OS X 10.7 Lion Server - DNS, Webserver configuration etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.