Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMovie for stop motion animation, Motion speed me up?

Basically my process

• Use image background
  • take pictures of me posing
  • delete out all the space around me using pixlr.com
  • move those over to miniturize me and animate me ontop of the background
  • add effects
  • put into imovie

Now this works fine and dandy, but I've been disheartened by many times working for 4+ hours and then seein the final product and it *****.

So questions. I used to use After Effects but a friend just recommended me Motion.

1. Does Motion 5 allow me to delete all the stuff around me posing against my wall?
  2. Does M5 really have all the problems the people on the boards are complaining about?
  3. Can I add some decent photo effects like I do with http://pixlr.com/o-matic/

Thanks guys

MacBook Pro 2.2 C2D, 4GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iBook G4 1.3 Ghz 120GB 7200 RPM HDD 1.5GB Ram, Gen1 iPad

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 6:26 AM

6 replies

Jul 23, 2011 12:57 PM in response to bobsbarricades

You can use Motion to separate your yourself from the background. I don't know how you're doing it now, but you could do it a couple of ways.

-Shoot green/blue screen and use the keyer to separate yourself (easiest).

-Use the masking tools to cut yourself out.

As for doing effects, I don't know the site you are talking about, but Motion comes with like, more than a hundred filters. You can use these mixed with masks for anything (effects, color correction). Not to sound cliché, but the only limits are based on your skill level and imagination.

Jul 23, 2011 11:17 PM in response to bobsbarricades

your workflow is - sorry to say that - a bit ... inconvenient

the usual workflow is: record using some plain green or blue background, create matte/key new background in, color-process video.

'matting by hand' skips 50 years of video-processing ... 😉

you can accomplish that with iMovie, Motion or FCPX. iM and FCPX come with a bundle of 'presets' which allow similar coloring/contrasting/de-saturation as pixlr. FCPX for sure allows much more, in detail manual manipulations of color, although the 'video' tab in iMovie11 offers enough 'knobs' to create the few looks pixlr offers. Motion wouldn't be my first choice, as the app's name implies, it is basicly not meant for such simple color-corrections.

Using iMovie for stop motion animation, Motion speed me up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.