Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wired internet connection drops after waking up

I am running a WIRED connection from my desktop to the Airport Extreme (Dual-Band). I am running 10.7 on a MacPro 1,1 (2.0GHz).

The strange thing is that when I run the Network Assistant/Diagnostic, I get ALL green lights. However, my AE does not display in my Airport Utility list -- something obviously is not computing, as that does not make any logical sense whatsoever. Those behaviors should be mutually exclusive.

I have to restart my computer to gets back to normal. Should I ditch all the services in my Network control panel and create new ones? My Lion installation was a migration, not a clean install. Never had that issue in SL (10.6.8).

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 9:11 AM

12 replies

Jul 23, 2011 12:14 PM in response to PatrickL

I've got exactly the same problem. Computer says I've got no internet connection and directs me to diagnostics page, then says I need to turn on wireless (even though I'm hardwired).

Waiting for a few seconds after waking, then trying again cures it, but it's annoying (like the annoying screen flash on the 27" cinema display when it wakes up).

I'm going back to Snow Leopard!

Bob.

Jul 28, 2011 3:06 PM in response to objectthink

Oh man, that is strange indeed. I am going to go on a limb here and flat out state that this is a bug in Lion.

I've had an Apple engineer contact me offline about this issue, but have yet to call him back. He even called me and left a message.

I'm sure this will be resolved with either a Lion update or maybe some configuration I can change in the current release.

Aug 13, 2011 2:10 PM in response to Leicalemur

So I've been able to replicate the problem consistently. After waking from sleep, my WIRED internet connection is lost.

I have three locations: Automatic, Comcast, and Work (VPN). Comcast is my default. To fix it, I change to a different Location (From Finder, Apple > Location), then back to the default one (Comcast). The change is instant; I am on the non-default location for literally one second before changing it back to the default.

I'm sure this wired one is related to the wireless one in some way.

Nov 7, 2011 6:06 AM in response to PatrickL

I was having the exact same problem with the wired connection, dropping every few hours. I made 2 changes in the network prefs and since then, the past 3 days I have had a rock solid connection. Heres what I did....

First in the Network Pref at the location drop down menu I went in and actually created a location and once that was done I deleted the automatic setting that is there by default.

Next and I think the one that fix my problem... click on the advanced button, then on the hardware button and you will be brought to where the actual hardware is set up. On the configure line the drop down is set by default to Automatically, I changed this to manual. I left all the others the same exept in my case I set the MTU to 9000 or jumbo. You have to be careful with this if you ISP (if DSL) or your router/switch will support this. Save all these changes and since I did this I have not had any slow transfers or dropped connections like I was having.

I tried everything else to fix this issue I even went as far to perform a fresh install of Lion and still was getting the drops. Hopefully this can help someone else too..

Message was edited by: daveb29

Wired internet connection drops after waking up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.