Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove "reading list" button on Safari

Hi ,after updating Safari to version 5.1 the reading list button (spectacles) has now positioned itself in pole position on the left hand side of the Bookmarks bar where it is annoying the **** out of me!

I don't want it or need it and i cannot find a way of moving it ,hiding it or better still deleting it!

I hate it when Apple thrust things on to us without any warning ,just like the black bar that Google smeared across the search page also with no option to alter it!

Anyhow that's the ranting over with for now ,any advice on how to sort the reading list button would be appreciated ,cheers!

Message was edited by: Dave Cummings Sorry ,i have now found the solution in this forum please disregard,cheers

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 9:53 AM

Safari > Preferences > Bookmarks

You'll see a checkbox there.

15 replies

Aug 6, 2012 4:36 AM in response to Dave Cummings

I HAVE THE SIMPLEST ANSWER TO REMOVE THE INTRUSIVE READING LIST.....

Go to Safari preferences- open bookmarks, click on the Reading list box so a tick appears. Close preferences.

The nasty reading list panel will be there on your browser.

Top left on the top toolbar is the reading list icon - clicl on that and the reading list disappears

Click again and it re-appears.

Sorted.

Clever, ennit?

Aug 6, 2012 8:55 AM in response to Soul of Wit

^ Bingo. I want it gone. Maybe if I could remember when I upgraded and it showed up I could go to the previous iteration?

I use FF a lot on other comps, so I get used to hitting Shift+click to open a new window, so when I use Safari I hit

the shift+click and it saves it to the reading list, if I just "hide" it then it's still saving it somewhere, and then every link

I open a new window and forget is there for another user to see. I'm not doing anything "bad" online, but I also don't

want someone to be seeing where I'm going/been. It's a privacy thing. If you're wondering why I don't use tabs, it's

because I like the 4 finger drag and I can see very window I have open and go to it. I find it useful if I'm doing research

and need to flip back and forth between several sites.

Aug 6, 2012 10:00 AM in response to ahinalu

Thanks for clarifying what your issue is, ahinalu.

Unfortunately, the shift-click behavior would not be easy to change by a user. If it were a normal menu short cut, then you could change it in the keyboard preferences. Even private browsing in Safari doesn't stop the shift-click behavior (that's odd if you ask me.)

There are only a few things that you can do. One is to make a suggestion to Apple (on their feedback page) to change private browsing to also block additions to the reading list. I suppose that a "no reading list" Safari preference might be even better. Certainly, mention your "new window" habit and privacy concerns in your message. Another possibility is to always use FF. If you really like/need to use Safari then leaving the reading list open (so you are aware when you do this) or always remembering to check before quitting Safari are the poor options that you are left with.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Aug 6, 2012 10:33 AM in response to Soul of Wit

^ My wife prefers tabs, but I find different windows with the 4 finger drag which shows them all is like having a bunch of papers in front of me where I can see all of them, and "pick" one up and read it whereas tabs are more like a book where you have to "flip" to each page you want. I guess I'm just "old school"...or just old. LOL

Thanks for the advice, that's pretty much what I do, it just reduces real estate of each browser window. A "no reading list" Safari would be better. I do use FF as much as I can, but I find that some sites don't like it or won't even open with FF but will in Safari, so I find I use both.

Remove "reading list" button on Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.