Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 10.4 crashing when syncing music

I'm having a major problem after upgrading to iTunes 10.4 for Windows. I'm now randomly crashing when syncing music to my Ipad 2. It seems some sync fine and then all the sudden it crashes.

The crash I'm getting is:

AppName: itunes.exe AppVer: 10.4.0.80 ModName: quicktime.qts

ModVer: 7.69.80.9 Offset: 001cd746

What's odd is that it's even crashing on audio podcasts that I downloaded on my iPad 2 which are being synced to my PC without issue, but then cause it to crash when syncing back.

I had no problems with 10.3.1 or earlier.

iPad 2, Other OS, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 11:10 AM

21 replies

Jul 25, 2011 5:28 AM in response to Morac

Hello Morac,

I'm having a similar problem with iPad 2 since I've upgraded to Itunes 10.4.

When I tried to sync 20 videos, iTunes started to use lot of CPU and afer 20 minutes it crashed.

If I try to sync the videos 1 by 1, it works.

The same problem from other perspective: if I try to sync a big video optimized for iPad2 (2 GB), iTunes always crashes.

The same video was synchronized with no problem with previous version of ITunes.

I agree with you, iTunes 10.4 is messed up.

Jul 25, 2011 9:24 AM in response to G37

I ended up calling Apple. They had me try all kinds of things such as setting up a new Windows user account and creating a new iTunes library, but nothing worked. When I set up a new iTunes library, I could sync an audio podcast, but if I delete the podcast off my iPad and synced again, iTunes crashed. Also the audio files I tried to sync crashed as well.

Finally the support guy had me do a complete restore of my iPad and set it up as new. After that I was able to sync all my apps, music, ringtones, videos and books. I didn't sync photos at that point. I then restored my iPad from the backup files. At that point I could still sync everything I tried (though the CPU usage was now much higher than than it was prior to restoring the backup), with the exception of Photos. iTunes would crash during the optimization phase.

I tried renaming the iPod Photo Cache folder and re-optimizing all 2600 photos of mine. It got to about 2450 and then crashed. I renamed the cache folder back and removed the new photos and movies (taken on my iPhone 3GS) I had since the last time I synced with iTunes 10.3.1. I then synced one album at a time and managed to sync all my photos with my iPad, but I have a feeling that if I try to sync a new photo it will crash again during optimization.

So it looks there's a setting on the iPad that's causing iTunes 10.4 to crash, even though it worked fine under 10.3.1.

If I have crashing problems again in the future with photos or music, I'm either going to have to restore my iPad as new and not restore my settings (something I don't want to do) or revert back to iTunes 10.3.1.

Jul 25, 2011 12:25 PM in response to Morac

I'm getting the same error as the original entry when trying to sync with my ipad. As stated above, this all happened after doing the 10.4 upgrade. The 10.3 version of iTunes worked just fine. I don't know if this makes any difference, but I'm running iTunes on a PC running Windows 7. I did some investigation and found that what seem to be causing the sync crash on my system is some movies that I took and originally copied over with my pictures in version 10.3. These home movies are .mov file extension files and if I remove them from my photo sync folder, leaving just the .jpg files, the sync works just fine. Any suggestions or a new version of iTunes which works as well as 10.3 would be great...

PS. I tried to go back to iTunes 10.3 but 10.4 changed something in the library file which stops 10.3 from being able to read it, so looks like I'm stuck..

Jul 25, 2011 2:01 PM in response to Jimfrom Mass

The library file gets updated when upgrade to a new version of iTunes. Fortuantely iTunes makes a back up of your library before it gets updated. It stores the back ups in the "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder under the iTunes folder in My Music.

If you rename the current iTunes Library.itl file in the iTunes folder and then copy the latest one out of the

"Previous iTunes Libraries" folder into the iTunes folder (naming it iTunes Library.itl), iTunes should be able to load it.

You need to make sure you completely uninstall iTunes 10.4 before trying to install 10.3 though. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923?viewlocale=en_US for how to do that.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/06/17/daily-tip-downgrade-itunes-105-beta-windows-pc/ explains how to downgrade iTunes (it mentions 10.5 beta specifically, but it will work for any version of iTunes).

Jul 29, 2011 8:39 PM in response to Morac

This is long, jump to the end if you don’t care about my new life problem! And sorry for my English, I’m not a native English speaker! Also, I’m just posting this stuff so people with this issue don’t have to try it all also.

ok, so my problem started with the ipad 2; i had a lot of pictures there but wanted to change the "stupid" way (for a windows addict) that apple arranges, or not, folders hierarchy. I deleted every single picture and imported my new structure (in windows). Useless to say that i got stuck here. i tried 100 times and i got the quicktime.qts module error (iTunes crashing). Good to know, obv, but what do i know of quicktime!? nothing...

Since i have an iPhone 4, and the iPhone only ever carried pictures taken with it, never had synced pictures before i decided to give it a try. same error…Ok, now i know the problem isn't in the devices but in iTunes itself, Quicktime, most likely.

Not happy with this conclusion, i decided to restore factory settings on both ipad 2 and iPhone 4 (4.3.5 ios). Gave it another try, after deleting every ipod photo cache folder in my library and re-installing iTunes completely (i tried re-installing before devices restoring with same error). No luck here either...

Went to discussion boards and figured a lot of people are having this issue, so i thought it’s probably in the iTunes 10.4 update, since i didn’t have a backup of my previous library, and i have 20000 songs, and didn’t want to lose the only library i had, i opted not to install previous iTunes version because i knew my library wouldn’t work and i rather have a decent library with no videos, than videos with a new library to build. So I didn’t try this.

i tried everything, there's a post that a guy, a while ago, resolved this issue (or similar) simply by deauthorizing and reauthorizing computer, or just by logging in to his iTunes account... other person resolved his issue by logging on a new windows account and syncing with a "clean" iTunes then moving to his previous account. Or deleting some quicktime files and folders that are on system32 folder, besides the 2 files that are needed... i only had the 2 needed files, no more! I tried it all, no luck.

Somewhere i read it could have to do with quicktime not being the default video player for .mov files, so i made it, still no luck.

My last try was messing with the registry looking for "stupid leftovers" of quicktime, a lot of them i knew shouldn’t be there and i deleted, but i was still stuck on the crash error. for this i removed iTunes, cleaned computer from apple stuff (all but my library files that i backed up),

cleaned registry and installed everything back again.in the meanwhile, no sure when, i figured since this could have something to do with quicktime (i noticed that it gets stuck when starting to optimize videos), i created a test folder with one picture and 1 video and I managed to pass through optimizing process. tried with 3 movies, after emptying the device and deleting cache folder (like from scratch), but Kabooom, crashed again. tried same thing, but first i opened the movies in quicktime in windows, then synced and it worked!! probably this could be the solution, tried with my whole library (2k+ photos and about 100 movies) but crashed again... probably i forgot/messed up to open some movie in quicktimes pior to syncing, but well, i was fed up with .mov files, or .mp4, m4v, FWIW (i tried them all).

After this (i only did all this because I’m computer addicted!) i rested my case, i posted on the forums and had 2 choices: wait for apple to solve this, if they care or Format my PC and probably be getting the same error, this is the only thing i didn't try cause i have lots of stuff to backup and configure, and lots of onetime license software...

I kept doing stuff with computer, installed a bunch of software (not related to this but related to DVD and movie editing stuff), after i stopped working i retried again, Meh, cleaned everything and got thru once with my new test folder (with different videos and pictures), but when i went to my REAL folders, APPCRASH again. Broke my mouse (apple owes me this!), stopped working and went to sleep.

I was real convinced this could have something to do with video encoding/decoding stuff. And also about quicktime

Now, the only thing working for me was:

Opening movies in quicktime prior to syncing (worked once or twice)

syncing right after I turned on the computer, but only small folders.

Makes me think problem is in the processor, since it eats a lot of CPU and memory at the end of a 1000 picture and videos sync. And it crashes when starting to optimize videos, sometimes I see it passes like 2 or 3 movies and crashes after. That’s why I can sync small folders right after I turn on my computer, but with big folders itunes just lags my windows wayyyy to much and at the end (when gets to optimizing videos) is really hot and slow, and crashes, I could make 1 video at a time but I believe itunes should work for itself without these “workarounds”.

I’m a computer guy and an application that uses up almost all computer CPU when “working” and “eats” way too much RAM is not a solid application… in this part itunes *****.

Aug 8, 2011 1:51 AM in response to johninho1970

Exact Same Problem here. I had this issue on a 64bit laptop running win7, so I obviously thought the laptop was the problem or that the 64bit version of iTunes was bugged.

Though now I'm on a sweet Dell desktop, and appear to have the exact same problem, iTunes crashes while optimizing Photos.

[[[ Unticking the 'include videos' box appears to work around this fault. ]]] <---- This seems to be the most useful tip.

Cheers,,,

iTunes 10.4 crashing when syncing music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.