Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Late 2006-Upgrading RAM

Hey everyone! This may sound like a really dumb question but I figured I'd ask anyway because I am not sure what to do. I am considering upgrading the RAM on my late 2006 20 inch iMac which I purchased in April 2007 so that I can instal Mac OS X Lion (it is already purchased for my macbook pro so I figured why not). Currently, it has what it came installed with which is 1GB of memory. When I first noticed this I figured I could just install an extra 1GB of memory to make 2GB and I would be good. However, it has come to my attention that the iMac (to the best of my knowledge) has 2 memory slots and that each one is filled with 512MB of RAM. Therefore, I would need to purchase TWO 1GB modules and replace both 512MB modules. So I have a few questions:

First, is this correct so far? I would need to buy 2 1GB modules and replace 2 512MB modules? If I only need to buy one please let me know and correct me.

Second, what can I do with the extra 1GB of RAM? If I have to replace the 512 MB modules what can I do with them once they are replaced? I don't really want to sell them and they are in perfectly good condition so is there anything I can use them for?

Thank you so much for reading.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Late 2006, Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 12:17 PM

First, is this correct so far? I would need to buy 2 1GB modules and replace 2 512MB modules? If I only need to buy one please let me know and correct me.

Yes you will need to replace both DIMMs curently installed. If your machine has the ability to go beyond 2GB I would definetely max out the RAM, your machine will run much better therefore enhancing your experience.

Second, what can I do with the extra 1GB of RAM? If I have to replace the 512 MB modules what can I do with them once they are replaced? I don't really want to sell them and they are in perfectly good condition so is there anything I can use them for?

Probably not, you can donate them or take them to your local Best Buy for recycling.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2011 12:17 PM in response to applefandan

Yes you will need to replace both DIMMs curently installed. If your machine has the ability to go beyond 2GB I would definetely max out the RAM, your machine will run much better therefore enhancing your experience.

Probably not, you can donate them or take them to your local Best Buy for recycling.

Jul 23, 2011 2:45 PM in response to applefandan

If there is a 1GB module then I'd go with:

1x2GB

1x1GB

this totals 3GB. With an older machine spending money on it is a difficult decison. Remember it 5 years old so how much life does it really have in it? With RAM you can never have too much and if you put in a total of 2GB you still only have the minimum requirement for Lion. At the end of the day it's your money and your choice.

Jul 23, 2011 2:51 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

If there is a 1GB module then I'd go with:

1x2GB

1x1GB

this totals 3GB. With an older machine spending money on it is a difficult decison. Remember it 5 years old so how much life does it really have in it? With RAM you can never have too much and if you put in a total of 2GB you still only have the minimum requirement for Lion. At the end of the day it's your money and your choice.

Yes well I was considering this and I believe that it has a lot of life left in it since it continues to work perfectly without issues. The only thing is on the website it says for the best performance install the same module in each slot (meaing either 1 GB 1GB or 2GB 2GB not 1GB 2GB). So that is why I am skeptical. Is it better to go against the site and go with different ammounts to reach 3GB or to do what the site says and only put in 2?

Jul 23, 2011 5:08 PM in response to applefandan

applefandan wrote:

OK thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate it. I will leave this open in case others have more suggestions.

Well, I had the 24" model and faced the same predicament; when i was researching it, I found that it can address a maximum of 3.1 or 3.2 GB, so I decided that it wasn't worthwhile to me to pay for a full GB and only get 0.1 or 0.2 out of it. I ran it with 3 GB and it was fine. So, I'd go with 3 definitely - from what I've seen so far, Lion likes a lot of RAM, so I'd go with 3 (or 4 if you want). As for the original RAM, OWC (macsales.com - my preferred RAM vendor) offers a trade in program. As for me, I always keep the old RAM just in case - even though you have a warranty on the new RAM, it might be necessary to send them in at some point - in that case, you can keep going by putting in your old RAM temporarily.

iMac Late 2006-Upgrading RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.