Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009) external monitor static

I've had this problem ever since I bought my macbook pro a year and a half ago. I like to connect my macbook pro to a Sony Bravia TV (model: KDL-26P3000) via an HDMI cable and mini displayport to hdmi adapter. Every few minutes or so the image turns to static on my Sony TV for anything between a few seconds and 2 minutes (there is no change to the macbook pro display). The TV screen also flickers and shows red vertical lines from time to time.

It seems to be completely random (has nothing to do with Sleep function) and it happens whether I am playing movies, viewing photos or not doing anything at all. I've tried using several cables (I think about 6) and 2 adapters (one apple and one griffin) and the problem persisted. It happened on Snow Leopard and it still happens on Lion. Everything is updated. I am certain this is a software issue, because using the exact same hardware and cables with my secondary OS (Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp) the issue simply never occurs.

There seems to be some correlation with the length of the cable I'm using. My current configuration requires me to use a 10m / 33ft. HDMI cable (I've tried both high- and low-end brands until now). However, everytime I use a significantly shorter cable (under 4m / 13ft.) everything is fine.

I've tried different resolutions (from 1080i, 720p, 480p and even 640 x 480), different refresh rates (50Hz/60Hz), with or without overscan and various display profiles.

It might be worth mentioning that I've cleaned both the HDMI cables and the port (the computer was also cleaned on the inside by Apple Service Staff just a few months ago). I've had different arrangements and cable paths in order to eliminate the posibility of interference - the issue occurs in every room, whether the cable is coiled or stretched out.

I would really appreciate and be very thankful for any help or suggestions. I'm sorry about the length of the post but I wanted to give out as many details as possible and be very specific, since I haven't been able to find other accounts of the exact same issue.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 12:46 PM

There are no replies.

Macbook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009) external monitor static

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.