14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2011 9:12 AM by howwow
howwow Level 4 Level 4
expertise.ibooks
iBooks

Hello all

Install Lion through App Store, set up everything nicely, including opening Mail and iTunes to check they are ok. Everything seems fine, update a few 3rd parties like Cocktail, CandyBar, Dockstar for Mail.

Everything seems fine.

Now I plug in all my USB for iDevice, ext drives and when start up, 1 sec into the Desktop, the Mac shuts down again.

I unplug everything and try again, it's the same!

HELP

iMac 27", Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 4 32Gb | iPad 2 64Gb 3G WiFi
Solved by howwow on Jul 27, 2011 10:27 AM Solved

Hello BirdBrain and everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

This is going to sound "hilarious and funny", but I've finally solve the shutting down after start up problem and you (all) probably won't believe what was the cause of it, I wasn't if not...

So I tried:

• Booting into Safe Boot Mode, removing as many Startup/Login items as I can to try and see if I can eliminate the problem
  • Normally after a Safe Boot mode, and restart, everything seems OK

But at times when I did a complete shut down and start up again, same problem persist, I even tried resetting the PRam, and it was this, that - allowed me to take a good glimpse of my Desktop in less than few sec after start up, and then it goes shutting down again.

I "blame" the Auto Resume funtion of Lion, that, preserves all the Applications and Windows after you shutdown or restart. :-)

Why?  Here's the "hilarious and funny" part, please don't kill me for this:

• In Snow Leopard and before, I have downloaded a couple of 'apps' called Dockables.  They are Dock icons/apps that you put on your Dock
  • Allowing you quick click way to Shut Down, Restart, Sleep etc
  • Without going to the top Apple logo pull-down menu

This was the cause of it all!!

So here, my last (activated) App and Window, I click on the 'Shut Down' Dock icon.  So naturally, in Lion, it by pass the window to uncheck the Resume, etc and went straight into shut down or restart, and when doing so, it resumes/opens the app - Shut down!

So the mac, poor thing, is "locked" into this terrible cycle!

Oh, I have since deleted all the Dockables apps.

Thanks everyone for your help, cheers

• Carlo TD Level 3 Level 3

i think one of those devices dont like it. Check if there is a new driver for one of those devices.

• GW Schreyer Level 4 Level 4

boot with cmd-r held down and enter the Recovery Partition.  Use Disk Utility to check your directories.  If necessary, re-install Lion from there.  Be aware that to do that, it will have to download a NEW 4 GB copy of Lion.

• Bob Jackins Level 4 Level 4

Might be one of the 3rd party add-ons is fighting with Lion,  try removing them and see if alright then.

• BirdBrain Level 1 Level 1

I would also suggest starting in safe mode by holding down Shift immediately after the chime.

If it starts up and behaves normally you will know that something loading at login is the likely issue.

• howwow Level 4 Level 4
    expertise.ibooks
    iBooks

Hi BirdBrain,

You are right there!  When I boot into Safe mode, I can start up as normal.  And what is bit puzzling me is that inside the startup/login items found inside my Account (inside Preferences) there are no 3rd party stuffs - at least I have removed all of them, only things left are "native" apps I wanted to load during start up like iTunes and Mail.

Funny thing is, whenever I start up as Safe Mode and restart again, there will be no problem for me to start up.

Also, I have already remove/delete all the apps, especially 3rd party stuffs that are not compatible with Lion.

Thanks and cheers

Weird...

I'd suggest creating a second user on the machine and starting up normally. See if that works as expected. If it does, then you know it is something in your user account causing the trouble.

• howwow Level 4 Level 4
    expertise.ibooks
    iBooks

Hello BirdBrain and everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

This is going to sound "hilarious and funny", but I've finally solve the shutting down after start up problem and you (all) probably won't believe what was the cause of it, I wasn't if not...

So I tried:

• Booting into Safe Boot Mode, removing as many Startup/Login items as I can to try and see if I can eliminate the problem
    • Normally after a Safe Boot mode, and restart, everything seems OK

But at times when I did a complete shut down and start up again, same problem persist, I even tried resetting the PRam, and it was this, that - allowed me to take a good glimpse of my Desktop in less than few sec after start up, and then it goes shutting down again.

I "blame" the Auto Resume funtion of Lion, that, preserves all the Applications and Windows after you shutdown or restart. :-)

Why?  Here's the "hilarious and funny" part, please don't kill me for this:

• In Snow Leopard and before, I have downloaded a couple of 'apps' called Dockables.  They are Dock icons/apps that you put on your Dock
    • Allowing you quick click way to Shut Down, Restart, Sleep etc
    • Without going to the top Apple logo pull-down menu

This was the cause of it all!!

So here, my last (activated) App and Window, I click on the 'Shut Down' Dock icon.  So naturally, in Lion, it by pass the window to uncheck the Resume, etc and went straight into shut down or restart, and when doing so, it resumes/opens the app - Shut down!

So the mac, poor thing, is "locked" into this terrible cycle!

Oh, I have since deleted all the Dockables apps.

Thanks everyone for your help, cheers

• howwow Level 4 Level 4
    expertise.ibooks
    iBooks

Hi, I've solve my problem, read my post above! :-)

Great that you found your problem,  I think a lot of people are having problems (BUGS) from little APPs they installed in SL that might not work as expected in Lion (needs to be updated) so when things start going funny it is automatically blamed on LION,  people without that APP are not experiencing that problem. Trouble being they forgot about that APP or multiple APPs.

Glad you got it sorted!

• howwow Level 4 Level 4
    expertise.ibooks
    iBooks

Bob, I totally agree!

I was really baffled by my problem, although I "really don't find it so inconvenient" everything to start up in Safe mode then restart again, but still irk me a little, I was ready to give Lion a week since I installed last Sat, before I decide whether to go back to Snow Leopard or re-install again.

I guess it was one of those very fortunate and lucky moment that when I tried zapping the PRAM, that was a slight second of delay that I was able to see my Desktop, and I saw on the top left where the bold app name would be, it showed "Shut Down", that was my light bulb lighting up!!  I (sort of) finally knew what was going on, and immediately link it to Lion's Auto Resume feature!

Thanks all.  Hope this help, especially those may have also installed Dockables previously.  Cheers.

Some of these new features in Lion should default to the old way and then user can turn on if desires.  Then at least you would have a chance to see if things are working correctly after the upgrade,  then when things are stable then try turning on some new features one by one to see how they behave first then decide if you want them or not.  Then if they are misbehaving you can turn them off until a patch is ready and applied.

howwow there is another person having your problem in the following link to thread,  would you be able to instruct them exactly how you retified the problem?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15767111#15767111

• howwow Level 4 Level 4
    expertise.ibooks
    iBooks

Hi Bob,

I think he has solved the problem.  The cause seems to be the same.  Maybe we should post this in some common Mac sites to "warn" Dockables users, because it really is so easy to overlook.

Because they are such "simple and innocent" apps...

Cheers