Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I log as root user?

I already enabled the root user, created a password but when the login window appears, I cannot login.

I tried the names "root", "Admin", "System Administrator", no one works.

Help, please.

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 5:34 PM

11 replies

Jul 23, 2011 5:48 PM in response to Pi1972

You forgot your root user password? 😮

Well you can reboot into Single User mode and try to reset the password.

Don't know if this will work in Lion or not. Print it out.

The Easy Password Reset Way. (no disk required)

1: Reboot the machine holding Command and S keys, you'll boot into single user mode (it's Root user so be careful)

2: Type in each command below followed by Enter or Return

fsck -fy
mount -uw /
passwd "username"

(where "username" is the users name of the password your trying to change)

Example:

fsck -fy
mount -uw /
passwd johnnyboy

If you don't know the name of the users then enter

ls /Users/

and you'll see three items: .localized, Shared, and a "username"

When done

exit

or

reboot

(note: if a firmware password is set, this or c booting from theinstaller cd will not work)

Apr 28, 2016 6:40 PM in response to @Tina_5617

@Tina_5617 wrote:

what does root user mean, if you don't mind,,im still learning the language of these forums

On Unix based systems the 'root' user is the most privileged account. It generally do not have any restrictions. It can generally access any file, modify any file, delete any file, create any file, change file ownership, change file permissions, access the memory of other processes, etc...

All other accounts are normal users which must follow the rules for file ownership and permissions.

An 'admin' account is an account that is part of the 'admin' group. And the 'admin' is allowed to execute commands as the 'root' account, after entering their account's password.

The first account created on a Mac is an 'admin' account. You can add additional admin users via System Preferences -> Users & Groups

Until Apple implement SIP (System Integrity Protection), this was the situation for the 'root' account. After SIP was implemented, there is a set of files that even 'root' cannot modify. This was Apple's way to prevent users breaking the operating system by making changes they should not, and keeping malware from doing some (not all) bad things to a Mac's software.

How can I log as root user?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.