1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 122 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 4:14 PM by mooneyna Go to original post
  • 60. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Georg Portenkirchner Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Kudos to Pondini!

    OmniDiskSweeper finally showed me, what is eating my hard drive space:

     

    /private/var/log/asl/

    /private/var/log/system.log

     

    Now I have to find out why and how to stop it!

     

    screenshot.png

  • 61. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    akina99 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Hi,

     

    Found a solution. it is to do with Lion OS backing up when time machine backup drive is not connected.

    It can be disabled.

     

    http://http://toti.posterous.com/hidden-local-backups-with-mac-os-x-lion-filli

  • 62. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,380 points)

    Georg Portenkirchner wrote:

     

    Kudos to Pondini!

    OmniDiskSweeper finally showed me, what is eating my hard drive space:

     

    /private/var/log/asl/

    /private/var/log/system.log

     

    Now I have to find out why and how to stop it!

     

     

    Here's how:

     

    In Finder, ⇧⌘G, enter /etc

    Open the file newsyslog.conf and change

     

     


    /var/log/system.log                              640  7             *          @T00  J

    to

    /var/log/system.log                              640  7             1000          *     J

    @T00 tells the log to rotate at 12am, but if you're not logged in at 12am, it won't rotate ("If a time is specified, the log file will only be trimmed if newsyslog(8) is run within one hour of the specified time.")

     

    The change will rotate at when the size hits 1000k

  • 63. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)

    Georg Portenkirchner wrote:

    /private/var/log/asl/

    Just delete most of those, per the green box in OSX Log Files.

     

     

    /private/var/log/system.log

    See the blue box in the same link.

  • 64. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)

    akina99 wrote:

     

    Hi,

     

    Found a solution. it is to do with Lion OS backing up when time machine backup drive is not connected.

    It can be disabled.

     

    http://http://toti.posterous.com/hidden-local-backups-with-mac-os-x-lion-filli

    The information there is partially correct, partially wrong.  See #30 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions

  • 65. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)

    Tony T1 wrote:


    /var/log/system.log                              640  7             *          @T00  J

    to

    /var/log/system.log                              640  7             1000          *     J

    @T00 tells the log to rotate at 12am, but if you're not logged in at 12am, it won't rotate ("If a time is specified, the log file will only be trimmed if newsyslog(8) is run within one hour of the specified time.")

    That will change the rotation, but won't address any problem that's filling the logs.   See OSX Log Files

  • 66. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,380 points)

    That will change the rotation, but won't address any problem that's filling the logs.   See OSX Log Files

     

    True, but even w/o any problems, the log will never rotate if the user is never logged in between 12am and 1am

  • 67. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,380 points)

    Pondini wrote:

     

    Georg Portenkirchner wrote:

    /private/var/log/asl/

    Just delete most of those, per the green box in OSX Log Files.

     

     

    He has 13GB in those, most within 3 days, so deleting will not solve the problem.

    Seems his problem is with AUX (...no idea what that is)

  • 68. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)

    Tony T1 wrote:

     

    He has 13GB in those, most within 3 days, so deleting will not solve the problem.

    But it will free up several GBs.

    Seems his problem is with AUX (...no idea what that is)

    Look at them.

  • 69. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,380 points)

    Pondini wrote:

     

    Tony T1 wrote:

     

    He has 13GB in those, most within 3 days, so deleting will not solve the problem.

    But it will free up several GBs.

     

    As you said yourself "That... won't address any problem that's filling the logs"

  • 70. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)

    Tony T1 wrote:

    . . .

    As you said yourself "That... won't address any problem that's filling the logs"

    Very good.

     

    If space is critical, don't you think it might be worth freeing some up while looking for the cause?

  • 71. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,380 points)

    Pondini wrote:

     

    Tony T1 wrote:

    . . .

    As you said yourself "That... won't address any problem that's filling the logs"

    Very good.

     

    If space is critical, don't you think it might be worth freeing some up while looking for the cause?

     

    Of course, I didn't mean to imply that he should not delete those logs, only that he not think that this solved his problem.  (Very strange that he's filling up gibabits of log files in only a day.  I'm curious what's causing it).

  • 72. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Georg Portenkirchner Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)




    /var/log/system.log                              640  7             *          @T00  J

    to

    /var/log/system.log                              640  7             1000          *     J

    @T00 tells the log to rotate at 12am, but if you're not logged in at 12am, it won't rotate ("If a time is specified, the log file will only be trimmed if newsyslog(8) is run within one hour of the specified time.")

     

    The change will rotate at when the size hits 1000k

     

    I am logged in at 12 am sometimes, not everyday, but every other day.

    But I am always logged in as "normal user" and not as "admin"

     

    Will try this and lets see if it works!

  • 73. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,380 points)

    Georg Portenkirchner wrote:

     

    Will try this and lets see if it works!

     

    George, your biggest problem are the ASL logs.  What do you see in those logs?  They're hugh!

  • 74. Re: lion eating my hard drive space
    Georg Portenkirchner Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Pondini wrote:

     

    Georg Portenkirchner wrote:

    /private/var/log/asl/

    Just delete most of those, per the green box in OSX Log Files.

     

     

    /private/var/log/system.log

    See the blue box in the same link.

     

    Took this screenshot before I did a new Lion installation.

    But now I know what I can delete and will have a look at the log files in there the next days.

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next