Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Desktop thumbnails in Mission Control

When I launch Mission Control I am not seeing any Desktop thumbnails. They seem to be invisible, as if I click where they should be the screen goes to another Desktop. I read in another post that older versions of Pathfinder can cause this problem but I don't have Pathfinder installed.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this would be appreciated...

MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 4 GB Ram

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 5:40 PM

13 replies

Aug 17, 2011 5:37 PM in response to Peace-Freak

I encountered a similar situation where Mission Control only showed one space.

I ran 3 apps in full screen mode and some other apps in 'normal' mode.

MC only showed the space with the apps in normal (not fullscreen mode). The icons for the other spaces were missing. Also no icons for the fullscreen apps were shown.

Additionally the desktop did not show the background image anymore. Instead, the background of mission control was shown for that space.

I eventually had to restart to 'fix' this.

I filed a bug report for this.

Nov 4, 2011 6:14 AM in response to Peace-Freak

I got the same problem, different cause though.

Whenever I restart my MBP (early 2011 15"), Mission control won't show desktop thumbnails and the gray border. App windows are working fine (see picture). Also, Launchpad won't show the blurry desktop, gray solid color instead. Additonally, I cannot change my desktop wallpaper.

A fix is to force the GPU to switch once (either manually or by an app). After that, everything works fine, regardless if the integrated or discrete GPU is active.

Any suggestions to a permanent fix for this?

User uploaded file

Feb 16, 2012 11:39 AM in response to mape2k

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm running 10.7.3 on a Mid 2010 MBP.

Do you have an SSD in your machine? I have a feeling my (Plextor) SSD might be the culprit, for some reason... I started experiencing the problem after replacing my old Intel X25 G2 with the current Plextor PX-256M2P.

Cycling the gfx cards 'fixes' the problem, as you described, thanks for that 🙂

No Desktop thumbnails in Mission Control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.