Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview displaying file size feature is missing

I like to use Preview to convert images between different types. The great feature I use the most is to preview the file size before converting.

For example, I open one png file and press cmd+shift+s to save it as another file. This will open a dialog with types I can choose. The dialog displays the original file size and it will update the file size corresponding to the type I want to save. This gives me a hint or PREVIEW for various types. I use this feature to save me great in terms of file size.

Now with the new PreView in Lion, no more save as feature. That's fine since version feauter is introducted. I found that Export would be an alternative. However, it does not provide file size as PREVIEW. That's a big lost for me. I just feel hadicated. I really don't want to save file first for comparing file size difference or use other tools(not sure if I can find any). I really want to get PREVIEW file size feature back! Is there anyway I can get the previous version of Preview back?

By the way, there is no shortcut key for Export.

David Chu

Preview in Lion-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 6:44 PM

16 replies

Jul 23, 2011 7:07 PM in response to chudq

There is a way for you to do what you want. It is different though.

1. Open the file in preview. In the top center just to the right of the file name click the little down arrow and lock the file. This will prevent auto updating. Then click on duplicate.

2. Use the duplicate file to make any changes and close the original.

3. At this point you can use tools to resize the file in the same format or click the red dot in the upper right to close the file and save it in the format and folder you select. From here you can open that file you just saved and use tools to resize it.

Jul 23, 2011 9:50 PM in response to Bags1301

I also tried to lock first, as in your suggestion. However, I could not duplciation the image because of permission issue:

Unsaved Preview Document.jpeg” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “Autosave Information”.

I tried to get info from the file. I see the file is with my account's read and write permission. Not sure what I can find out Automsave inforamtion from there.

Jul 26, 2011 8:25 AM in response to chudq

I really like to get the file size information back to Preview. It is so convenient to preview file size when you change file type. I have used this feature in Snow Leopard to reduce image file size for my web, blog, and tweets. Unfortunately I cannot find this information there any more in Lion.

I talked to my collegues at work. They mentioned it might be a way to reconfig Preview. Not sure it is possible. I remembered that WWDC mentioned about customize UIs by editing some XML file for app. Not sure if it is possible to add a label back with file size information.

By the way, I would like to define a shortcut for Duplicate. Is this possible?

Mar 23, 2012 6:26 PM in response to chudq

Count me in for wanting the file size back in preview - I use it to decide whether to use png or jpg as there is often a substantial difference and which one is smaller varies just about as much. Typically I'm using this to convert grab tiffs to something small to mail to someone and the smaller the better...

Jan 20, 2013 8:14 PM in response to Bags1301

Need this feature big time. Has always been present in every version of Preview until now. I need to use it EVERY TIME I manipulate an image in Preview.app

" ... I was just trying to give you a way to get the same results even though the method is different. ..."

The "results" we need is to see the file size live while we adjust jpeg quailty so we can, for example, create an image with a maximum 100kb file size for uploading to the web when we want to minimize bandwidth on a web page. File size and image qualtiy are directly related; we want to see the image quality and the file size at the same time to determine if it's acceptable.

Your "way" does not do this, unless you expect us to save the file a half dozen times at different JPEG compression levels, open them one by one and then check the file size.

That apparently is "the way to get the same results" with the new verion of Preview and ML's totally useless New Document Model. It's a document model for children and grandmothers, not experienced computer users.

Preview.app is now unusable to me except as maybe a slide show app and I need to look for another simple app for simple graphics changes. May as well delete the thing; it's useless as is since any substitute will also be able to do slide shows.

Jan 21, 2013 3:30 PM in response to vanyel

I might be able to extract Preview from my Snow Leopard Server install DVD. Would be awesome if you can give the filename of that support library.

I think I need to move to Lightroom, even though I am not a fan of Adobe's upgrade pricing structure and their lack of support for legacy versions with new OS upgrades. Apeture is out of the question; it uses the same cryptic file storage system as iPhoto, which caused me to lose a lot of work when failing RAM began corrupting a FileVault volume.

iPhoto refused to open the files, because the metadata was broken, so they could not be exported to be recovered. The files themselves were for the most part recoverable, but actualy finding them was a headache. That meant manually hunting them down ... weeks of work, and I eventually gave up on a lot of it. I will never use an app that buries files in it's own multi-directory mess again.

All the people who love this new Document Model ... well, just wait until your RAM starts to fail. May never happen. But Lord Help You when it does. You'll lose something, possibly everything.

Jan 22, 2013 8:09 PM in response to gordguide

Extracted Preview v5.0 from my Snow Leopard Server Install disk (OSX 10.6x) and tried to launch it, but I get a dialog "You can't use this version of Preview5.app [I renamed it] with this version of the Operating System".

Maybe only the Lion verison works as an alternate install.

Upgraded my Phone Plan to the Ultimate 65 Plan today. Took 2 minutes. I estimate my average monthly bill will fall from $80 to $72.25 all-in becasue this plan pretty much eliminates any Long Distance charges. Also SaskTel will be rolling out the full 4GLTE in about two weeks; 100Mbps speeds (Rogers is limited to 75Mbps because of the tower frequency they use).

If you ever look for an alternate carrier, it's helpful to know that Rogers' network is separate from everyone else's (Telus, Bell, SaskTel, MBTel). Those 4 share towers Canada-wide, so if for example you were on Bell then you use Telus towers in BC. If you're on Rogers, you can only use Rogers towers which are far less numerous outside southern Ontario.

I've moved towards using alternate apps instead of Preview. Will be installing Photoshop Elements 11, Adobe Lightroom 4. Too bad that I can't use a quick and simple app like Preview for quick resizing and jpeg conversion, but there you go. Apple doens't leave me much choice with the broken version that comes with Mountain Lion.

Jan 23, 2013 11:15 AM in response to gordguide

That's weird - must have something to do with getting it off the install disk. I rsync'd Preview.app (Version 5.0.3 (504.1)) from my old imac to the new one, and it's working fine (after copying the library also). Hmmm, your profile says you're on Mountain Lion - perhaps this hack won't work with that, only Lion. In which case I'll definitely make a point of not downgrading to Mountain Lion - Lion was bad enough.

Preview displaying file size feature is missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.