Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running Logic 8.0.2 under Mac OS X Lion

1. Run Automator.

2. Drag "Run Shell Script" action and drop in Automator.

3. Assuming you installed Logic in the default location, paste the following to the Run Shell Script dialog:

/Applications/Logic\ Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic\ Pro ; exit;

4. Save As Logic Pro 8 (I saved to my home directory).

Double-click to run.

This is not going to work for everyone. I am using plug-ins for Roland Soniccell which is compatible with Lion, so this works for me. It does not work for MainStage.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), Logic Studio

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 8:41 PM

32 replies

Jul 24, 2011 5:15 AM in response to TheNorm62

Worked perfectly! I use logic express 8, so I just used:

/Applications/Logic\ Express.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic\ Express ; exit;

@Kristoffer37:

1. find the program 'Automater', choose 'Application' as the document type.

2. find an action called 'Run Shell Script' (try searching for it in the search box top left)

3. drag it into the right-hand window panel and enter: /Applications/Logic\ Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic\ Pro ; exit;

4. save it somewhere convienient. You can then open it as any normal application and it should run logic for ya!

Jul 24, 2011 10:50 AM in response to Kristoffer37

My guess is Logic starts and then is initializing plug-ins and then fails. You can check the support pages for devices you have connected and see if there are updated drivers/plug-ins for Lion. If not, you will probably have to go back to Snow Leopard (just re-install from disc). You will be able to install Lion again at a future date from the app store (it will remember your purchase).

The other options (the one Apple wants you to do) is upgrade to Logic 9, but I suggest waiting until the 9.1.5 update comes out as a number of people reported issues with 9.1.4. I assume there is still a possibility of driver/plug-in issues if the manufacturer of your gear has not release software that works with Lion. My Roland stuff works. I am going to do this when I save up the $200 bucks ($170 on amazon) because I want Logic 9 any for the Flex Tool, Guitar Gear, and Jam Pack (+ more).

Sorry my fix didn't work for you 😟

Jul 24, 2011 3:53 PM in response to Robert Davies

Sorry, did not mean to copy 🙂 I see that you posted first.

I did one other thing: set the icon on the Automator app created to the Logic Pro icon.

1. Open a finder windows and navigate to the Logic Pro app under Applications.

2. Open another finder window and navigate to the Automator app created in my first post.

3. Show Package Contents and navigate down to the Resources folders in both Finder windows.

4. With a bit a digging, you will find a file LogicPro.icns in the Logic Pro app. Copy this file (Command-C).

5. Paste (Command-V) this to the Resource folder of the Automator app.

6. Delete the file AutomatorApplet.icns and rename LogicPro.icns to AutomatorApplet.icns.

The icon should now look like Logic Pro and you can drag it to dock.

Jul 24, 2011 5:02 PM in response to TheNorm62

It doesn't matter who posted first or last! 😀

We now have a workable solution for running Logic 8.

By the by, there's an even easier way of adding the Logic Pro icon to the script which dates back to System 7 or before.

Find the Logic Pro app, 'get info' on it, select and command I, at the top of the panel there's a Logic Pro Icon, select it, and go to 'edit' on the menu bar at the top of the screen and select 'copy' (command C should work also).

Close that info panel, find the script, 'get info' on that, select the script icon at the top of the panel and paste in the Logic Pro icon.

Done 😀

-Rob

Running Logic 8.0.2 under Mac OS X Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.