Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you unlink names in address book on the iPhone?

I recently noticed that my husband and my address card on my iPhone are linked. When I want to send a test or an email, his picture instead of mine appears. When I am on my Apple computer, there is no indication that the two cards are linked in any way. How can our names be unlinked?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 8:11 PM

Select your contact info or your husband's contact info in Contacts app on your iPhone. They should be linked there. Select Edit to remove the link.

12 replies

Jul 23, 2011 8:19 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Thank you for responding so quickly. This did not work for me. The only option I had was to delete both names. I deleted both contacts and then restored my contacts only by syncing again. That worked. The strange thing was my husband did not have the linked cards on his iPhone and I did. Very odd since we share the same database.

Thanks!

Sep 6, 2012 12:37 PM in response to MRSoto

I'll post this here since it seems many people have this problem. This is a step-by-step process to unlink contacts.

1. on your iphone go to the linked contact
  2. click the edit button in the top right corner of your screen
  3. scroll to the bottom to where is says "linked cards", you should see all of the contacts that are linked
  4. to the left of each contact you will see a red circle with a horizontal white line similar to a "do not enter" sign found in the U.S. Click on that circle and the white line will become verticle and a new red button that says "unlink" will appear
  5. click that "unlink" button
  6. click the blue "done" button on the top right corner of your screen
  7. open a beer and celebrate your success

May 6, 2015 2:38 AM in response to Allan Sampson

I have dublicated adresses, notes on my contact details on iphone. When I look at contact details, I see that linked contacts associated with exchange and iphone. I wnat to have only one contacts from exchange only. I can unlink contacts from my iphone by going to contact details of the person and unlike it. But, this is only one by one. I want to do for all my contacts at once. Is it possible? How it can be done?

Sep 6, 2015 2:22 PM in response to bluetiger74

Linked contacts are caused by having two accounts for Address Books (Contacts) enabled in the iPhone Settings for Mail, Contacts, Calendars. For instance, you can have iCloud's Contacts enabled with some CardDAV contacts, or having two different iCloud's Contacts (Address Books) enabled. One should simply disable one of these accounts. You do not need to delete the account, but simply disable it. You can enable it again if desired. By disabling one of the accounts, links automatically disappear.

How do you unlink names in address book on the iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.