Thank you for responding so quickly. This did not work for me. The only option I had was to delete both names. I deleted both contacts and then restored my contacts only by syncing again. That worked. The strange thing was my husband did not have the linked cards on his iPhone and I did. Very odd since we share the same database.
I'll post this here since it seems many people have this problem. This is a step-by-step process to unlink contacts.
- on your iphone go to the linked contact
- click the edit button in the top right corner of your screen
- scroll to the bottom to where is says "linked cards", you should see all of the contacts that are linked
- to the left of each contact you will see a red circle with a horizontal white line similar to a "do not enter" sign found in the U.S. Click on that circle and the white line will become verticle and a new red button that says "unlink" will appear
- click that "unlink" button
- click the blue "done" button on the top right corner of your screen
- open a beer and celebrate your success