Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have just bought a hdmi tv and would like to view very high quality images, using apple tv, stored on my external hard drive. I also have blue ray movies stored on my external hd. will i be able to stream these to my tv and view them in 1080p?

I have just bought a hdmi tv and would like to view very high quality images, using apple tv, stored on my external hard drive. I also have blue ray movies stored on my external hd. will i be able to stream these to my tv and view them in 1080p?

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 5:26 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Content will need to be formatted as h264 at 720p in order for the Apple TV to play it, it will also need to be inside your iTunes library. It will play at 1080 on your TV because your TV will upscale the Apple TV 720p output. How well it does that depends on how good your TV is at upscaling.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2011 5:26 AM in response to ben82wik

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Content will need to be formatted as h264 at 720p in order for the Apple TV to play it, it will also need to be inside your iTunes library. It will play at 1080 on your TV because your TV will upscale the Apple TV 720p output. How well it does that depends on how good your TV is at upscaling.

Jul 25, 2011 3:44 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks mate! Here is the next question then. Can I have my photographs on itunes? I have a macbook pro but I don't store anything on it. All my content is stored on my external hd. My itunes library is located on my hd (music only) What I would like to do is have this ext.hd plugged into a wireless router so that all its content can be viewed on multiple devices including my tv without having my macbook running.

Jul 25, 2011 5:18 AM in response to Winston Churchill

for maximum resolution 1280 you must use tost ( roxio) for video conversion, is possible only with apple tv with hard disk.

if you use quick time or you have problem when you synchronize your apple tv.

with apple tv without hard disk, the maximum resolution is 960 in streaming with wi-fi.

I don't know if with cable connection is better.

i have the same problems.

Jul 26, 2011 4:12 AM in response to Winston Churchill

sorry, why isn't correct?

i try convert video with quick time to apple tv, import in itunes( that's ok) but is impossible to synchronize my apple tv ( unsupported file).

where I wrong?

please could you explain me the correct procedure?

i have some video ( holiday movie an photo movie in mpeg2 full HD) to convert for apple tv, and from 2 years some video editing with imovie.

normally I prepare my video with Imovie, create a file .mov full hd (like master) and with roxio convert file for apple TV.

apple world is new for me, after 25 years with microsoft!

thank so much

mauro

Jul 26, 2011 4:24 AM in response to mauro & sabrina

I thought I'd answered your question in another post, however, from iMovie select share to iTunes/Large for the Apple TV 1 or share to iTunes/HD 720p for the Apple TV 2.

Avoid excessive conversions, it will degrade quality. In other words don't use iMovie to make a 1080 movie and then convert that movie again for the Apple TV, just get iMovie to create all the versions you require from the original project.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.