Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Lion upgrade problem

I've just upgraded to Lion but am now unable to run BootCamp. It doesn't appear in the StartUp options when I restart and hold down the option key. It was all working fine immediately before the uprade.

Disk Utility sees disk0s4, which I believe is my BootCamp partition, but it is greyed out. I've tried Repair Disk but get the message " Invalid BS_impBoot in boot block: ecfcec".

Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 4:04 AM

19 replies

Jul 24, 2011 4:39 AM in response to tomtomdeloche

Thanks for replying.

'bootczmp' does not appear.

"diskutil list" offers the following:

0: GUID_partition_scheme [disk0]

1: EFI [disk0s1]

2: Apple_HFS Machintosh HD [disk0s2]

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD [disk0s3]

4: Microsoft Basic Data [disk0s4]

This suggests to me that my Windows files are there but inaccessible as my iMac is no longer recognising the Boot Up disk for Windows.

Jul 24, 2011 6:25 AM in response to Troy Park

I saw that there are some problems in Lion with NTFS disks, I don't know if there is a link with the fact that you can't run bootcamp. There are many bugs in the transition from Snow Leopard to Lion. So maybe if you retry to install your bootcamp partition from scratch, it might work. I hope that you have saved all your files of your bootcamp partition before upgrading to Lion. First of all open the disk utility, go to your bootcamp partition, and click "repaire permission". And then try to reboot your computer on the bootcamp partition. If it doesn't work, what I can suggest you is if you have enough free space on your HD, don't delete your "bootcamp partition", maybe a Lion upgrade will fix that issue, and retry a bootcamp installation from scratch.

Moreover I have a big problem too in Lion, nobody replied to my question so maybe you can help me. When I run an external hard disk, my mac does recognize it, I can open a couple a folder inside, and then the finder crash, until I unplug manually the hard disk. They used to work fine on snow leopard a week ago. Strangly, my time machine works, but it's quite slow... Maybe if you have an external disk, can you tell me if everything works fine

Jul 24, 2011 6:18 AM in response to Troy Park

Thanks again.

The last thing I want to do is reinstall Boot Camp as I have so much stuff on it. I just downloaded the "Install Mac OS Lion" and clicked on 'install'. I do not remember any options. It seems to be full migration though because all my Mac stuff and settings are there and fully operational in Lion. The Lion upgrade was painless. However, when I restart with option key pressed, I get two options Macintosh HD and Mac HD Recovery but no Windows OS sart up disk.

Jul 24, 2011 6:46 AM in response to tomtomdeloche

I've tried 'Verify Disk' and 'Repair Disk' in Disk Utilities but get the same response "Invalid BS_impBoot in boot block: ecfcec". I am leaving Boot Camp reinstall as the very last option because, although I have most of the data backed up, some files are not and reinstalling all the (downloaded from the ether) software from scratch will be a nightmare.

In response to your problem, I have an 82GB Iomega HDD external hard drive, which I have just plugged in to my iMac running Lion and it seems to be working fine. I have been able to access and open nested files without any problem (so far).

I am still using a Mac G5 with Time Machine and got the iMac mainly to run AutoCAD in Windows 7 (which it did superbly until I installed Lion) so I do not have Time Machine running under Lion at present. It is a disaster for me not to be ble to start up Boot Camp now.

Jul 24, 2011 6:55 AM in response to Troy Park

thank you for helping me. I understand when you say that reinstall bootcamp is the last option. But not the least I think. It appears that your issue might be fixed by an upgrad of Lion, I hope so. But if you are really in a hurry in running windows again, you should try to create a new bootcamp partition one... If it works it will show that there was a problem during the transition between SL et Lion, and if it doen's work, there is definitely a problem with bootcamp... But it seems to me that resinstalling windows from scratch will definitly work, the question is will your windows datas be recovered with a future update... To conclude, it's true to say that your datas are there definitly, so as you said don't delette the partition, we juste have to wait for an upgrade...

Jul 31, 2011 7:28 PM in response to Troy Park

I had the same thing happen to me when I upgraded to Lion. I was able to regain my windows partition by simply going into utilities/bootcamp assistant and then downloading the newest microsoft support software when it prompted me to. After that, I quit the bootcamp assitant app and when I restarted and held down the option key my windows partition was there again.

Aug 1, 2011 1:29 PM in response to bwl11

To bwl11 :

I did that too, but it hasn't changed anything. I'm still only seeing the Recovery HD and my OSX HD when I restart.

But I think I'm missing something here. This Microsoft support software that we either burn on a CD or save on a USB device, I thought it was only usefull once you were on the Windows side. Does this downloading change something on the OSX side as well ?

Thank you

Boot Camp Lion upgrade problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.