Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail: How do I add a new to-do/reminder, like in Snow Leopard?

In Snow Leopard mail, it was possible to create a to-do/reminder that was linked to a specific mail message and you could also set a reminder date & time.

I can't find a way to do this with Lion Mail.

In iCal, you can CMD+K to create a new reminder, but I don't see a way to link it to a specific mail message.

MacBook Pro 15, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 5:03 AM

13 replies

Jul 25, 2011 9:18 AM in response to blsfalcon

I am reluctant to move to Outlook (even though I have it as part of Office 2011) mostly because, although it would solve this feature downgrade problem, it is rather bloated and doesn't intergrate well with sync services. I've just downloaded a free trial of the, on the face of it, overpriced Busycal (you can get it from the App store, too). Busycal doesn't mean that you can create to dos from within mail, but you can drag mails to its to do panel, which you can't do from Lion mail to lion ical (unless you drag it first to the calendar and then drag it again to the reminders).

I've also noticed a number of other featues that make it more useable than the new iCal. It also syncs with all the sync services stuff including, incidentally iCal, so I plan to try it for a little longer before deciding what to do. Who knows Apple may even be planning to add some to do functioanlity back to mail or release a proper scheduling facility as part of iCloud. Please do send them some feedback about your disapointment http://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html becasue there's no reason to think they'll be tracking this thread unless the number of views and comments grows to something embarrassing.

Jul 29, 2011 3:23 AM in response to thomfromphiladelphia

Thom and Perik. Helpful answers. Thank you both.

The issue remains though, doesn't it? We used to be able to select some text in a mail, right click it and it would become a task/to do/reminder. We could then set parameters in mail and move on. It was pretty clunky compared to any serious app that's part of a professional scheduling/workflow suite. But it was there, it worked and some people came to depend upon it. It has been removed, which, at very least, is disappointing.

Jul 29, 2011 3:57 AM in response to David Barrett3

LOL... Apple likes to add up all of the "new features" when pitching their new OS -- many of which we'll never use. But, I've never seen the list of features that "disappear in the night" -- many of which we USED 🙂

But, to be fair -- dragging an email to iCal is only one extra step.

I'm sure someone is working on a Mail plug-in....

-- thom

Aug 4, 2011 2:43 AM in response to thomfromphiladelphia

Took me a few tries to figure out how it worked, cause I just dragged the mail to the iCal icon in dock and waited for the app to become active, then wanting to release the mail on a day - but nothing happens. It seems you have to have iCal being the active window and then drag the email from inactive Mail window, to the day on iCal - then it will work.

thomfromphiladelphia wrote:

Drag your email from Mail to a day on the iCal calendar and set youre reminder there.

Jan 22, 2012 3:26 AM in response to sam_hg

Thanks for the hint. I am new to the Applescript and it helped me to write the workflow for creating iCal Reminders by executing the workflow directly from context menu. Now a'm able to create them from Mail or Safari apps and the link to the actual message/web sitewill be set automaticaly. That is the thing I always wanted to have 🙂

Mail: How do I add a new to-do/reminder, like in Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.