Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand Problems in Lion

Since installing Lion on my MacBook Pro, I am having problems with Garageband.

If it does not crash when opening or closing the app, the mouse is unresponsive within the app, hence you are unable to edit or make changes to an existing project.

Please help!! I am trying to edit and post a recent podcast recording and will have to downgrade back to Snow Leopard if there isn't a solution posted soon. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 6:55 AM

9 replies

Dec 19, 2011 12:20 AM in response to Jazzyvet1

Jazzyvet1 wrote:

Im having the same problem, and it's ruining my productivity. I need this solved ASAP! Anyone find any solutions? I need iCloud so I don't want to uninstall lion. Please help!!!

I'm guessing the posters here either solved their problems through updates to Lion reverted to Snow Leopard, given that the last post was almost 6 months ago on the topic. Have you repaired your permissions? Checked for system and Garageband updates? Otherwise contact Apple to voice your discern.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Good Luck

Jan 9, 2012 1:54 PM in response to MagicNewswire

this is pathetic for Apple to abandon it's own software!!,,, I was able to see the dlsmusicdevice when opening it as a new user, BUT the quicktime is greyed out, I can't acceess any sounds in my baks folder,,,,, So there you have it, it Garageband is filled with all kinds of bugs, and I do not wat to have to reinstall SL, is that my only recorse? APPLE? Are you listening?

Are you going to dump Garageband like your plans for Iweb,,, you are loosing your consumer bases little by little,,, Guess the ipad is all that matters Now,,,,,,

Jan 11, 2012 4:36 AM in response to MagicNewswire

Everything you need to know about DLSMusic Device,, YES Musicians it DOES work in LION!

HAD all the problems getting .sf2 sounsfonts to work in GB that everyone on here has had with in the DLSMusic Device. You need to do the follow and it WILL WORK LIKE A CHARM

1. Read the articles about deleting the plists, and replacing them anew, do that proceedure first.

2. Repair you permissions using disk utility, should only take a minute as little is wrong.

3. Create a new LION user wiith admin rights and access to GB

4.Create a new .BAND/song/project, what ever you want to call it.

5. Create a new software insturment in the project.

6. Using EDIT select from the list, the DLSMusicDevice. Heres the catcher.... it should come up greyed out, unusable, why? SImple, you have no .sf2 soundfonts in your banks folder. ANd they better be vaild useable reputable non errored fonts, or gragaeband WILL lock up tring to open them!!!! Read that AGAIN! GB WILL lock up on a bad file!

7. Look through these posts on how to acces your library BANKS folder, too much for me to explain. HOWEVER, I will explain that ever user has its own file system its own hidden library its OWN banks folder its own GD Pref file and any sucess you have as a NEW user account must be carried over to the troubled first account you were having problems to begin with! READ THAT AGAIN!

8. Now one by one,, ONE BY ONE add your .sf2 soundfonts. to the EMPTY banks folder in the NEW user account. If they are legit, no errors no bad files, the DLSMusicDevice will NO LONGER be greyed out and the sounds will start appearing in the user sounds window provided by DLSMusicDevice.

When its time to fix the original user account bear in mind that you will want to clean out, clear out the banks folder there too, and add the . sf2 files back in ONE AT A TIME!

9.Take all the time in the world to add each sound, check that it trasfers nto DLS and that GB has NO problems opening it.Trash any file .sf2 that the DLSMusicDevice cannot open. Never have this headache again with a poorly saved file locking up GB! Its not Apples programming its the outside files that are the troublemakers!

10.Everything you learned here can be transfered back to your original troubled USER account and it will work there also to fix everything!

A Last Note: DLSMusicDevice recognises groups of folders with .sf2 sounds in each folder, for example, put all your string insturments in a MyStrings folder,,,, or create a FavoritePads folder. You will get a right arrow in the DLS secondary selection window that shows ever soundfont from wich to choose when you use this device to assign a software insturment.

If you follow these steps and weed out poorly saved and written .sf2 files Apple has provided you with a remarkable tool with which to expand your library of sounds indefinately! Now go to it, take your time, do every step and you will be recording in no time,,,,,,,! Post any questions you have I will be checking!

Jon Sebastian, I LOVE MY MAC

GarageBand Problems in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.