Was having issues connecting to my Mac from my Windows 7. The correct answer on this thread got my thinking. Found that my workgroup name was blank on my Mac. Filled that in on my Mac and bam...done. I am working in a Active Directory LAN. Both the PC Windows 7 and the Mac Lion are not on the domain.
I have had this issue for a while now. I actually gave up on it and just went back to my SL server. I started messing with it again and was having the same issues. I then went and downloaded all updates. made sure my shared DNS name in the sharing preferences was the same as my hosted name. Dropped and re-added the server to the domain. Renewed DHCP (if not on static) and went to hit it from a Windows machine and BAM, it worked. Tested it from a OS X client and it worked. It also removed the issue of having to type in .local after the DNS name as well.
This solved my problem on a Vista Home Premium to a Mac OSX Lion SMB share where it seemed to have worked intermittently then stopped working altogether a few days ago for some reason - unsure if a Windows or Mac OSX update brought the problem to the fore or perhaps a combination of logged credentials.
Many thanks my friend!
Which servername are you using - the server is named as intranet.local, but no amount of login attempts succeed; log excerpt:
2012-08-05T16:34:18 digest-request: uid=0
2012-08-05T16:34:18 digest-request: user=intranet.local\\accounts
2012-08-05T16:34:18 NTLM domain not configured
2012-08-05T16:34:18 digest-request: kdc failed with 36150275 proto=unknown
2012-08-05T16:34:18 digest-request: guest failed with 22 proto=ntlmv2
I have tried INTRANET\accounts, and the IP address, but none work....
Any ideas, as this is driving me (and my client) MAD!!
I tried all what is said here (thanks all b.t.w.) and it worked .... only once ....
When I rebooted VISTA, I could not reconnect to MAC (window popping with same old nasty request for username and password that never works)
But ... I found a fix, by chance :
- go to "System Preferences/Sharing/Options"
- Uncheck "Share files and folders using AFP"
- go to "System Preferences/Users & Groups"
- Click the lock to allow changes
- Click on "Guest User"
- Uncheck "Allow guests to connect to shared folders"
And now... it seems to work flawlessly, but please don't ask me why !
After all, these hours were not spent uselessly.
There has been no update to this thread since November so I don't know how people are doing with this issue.
I don't have a fix, just a workaround. The problem is related to Kerberos. The password doesn't pass the Kerberos stage when connecting with SMB.
My workaround is to create a local user on the Lion Server that hosts the share and to use those credentials on the PC.
It works for some, as it does for me. Make sure you have DNS lookup(s) working for your server at the client, and both server and client are using a common NTP server so that the time is completely sync'ed between workstation(s) and server.
I have an entirely stock 10.7.5 server and a stock Windows 7 (sp1, 64-bit) client connects to it always without issue - note - using an Open Directory not "local" (non-OD) account on the server.