Previous 1 2 Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2014 6:42 AM by Kurt Lang
MacPro&iPhone Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)


I have a problem with Outlook 2011 running on Mac OSX 10.7 Lion.  Outlook works without one needed function, ie SEARCH.

The search script is simply disabled.  The same scripts works well in 10.6.8.  Any idea? 

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • Class Act Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

    Hi, Search works for me jsut fine. Anything in particular?

  • MacPro&iPhone Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Hi,  How did you install 10.7?  Via upgrade or clean install?  Thanks

  • Class Act Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

    Good point. I did the in place install and that is often a reason why stuff keeps working......No updates from MS either...

  • Eric Westby Level 4 Level 4 (1,815 points)

    @MacPro&iPhone, just FYI, there is no "clean install" option for Lion.

  • MacPro&iPhone Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Eric Westby, of course there is.  You have a few choices on how to proceed with a clean install with or without DVD.  Anyway, let's stick to the topic.  Thanks.

  • MacPro&iPhone Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I found a solution to my problem.

    Just a couple of simple Unix commands; here it is: sudo mdutil -E/

                                                                              sudo mdutil -i on/

    The system will erase and rebuild the indexing.  This took about an hour, but when finished everything went back to normal.       

  • vinsoft Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    The command sudo mdutil -E/ is to reindexing the files for Spotlight.

    I have problems with Outlook, I try to search in his search box but it doesn't find!

  • JerMac Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

    Spoltight wasn't finding anything in Outlook right after the upgrade to Lion. On the Outlook side I have tried everything, thanks to the Office for Mac user Forum and this Forum. I also had Spotlight re-index the HD several times, but no improvement. Even a new User identity didn't help. The fact that nothing can be found in Outlook leads to a huge lack of productivity and renders the application almost useless. I am getting quite desperate, I must admit.

  • MacPro&iPhone Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    As I have stated in an earlier post, you must use both commands not just one.  Besides, the system needs to re-index all files after you upgraded to Lion.  It may take up to a couple of hours depending on the hdd, memory sizes and the cpu speed. 

  • vinsoft Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I have already re-indexed Spotlight and deleted some preferences files in the User Library,

    but when I try to find some email using the search box of Outlook 2011 it doesn't find nothing.


  • JerMac Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

    Finally, I installed a new disk and did a clean install of Lion. I then re-installed the Office suite. This solved the problem.

  • MacPro&iPhone Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    When you do a clean Lion install you loose any specific SL configurations, indexing, backgrounds, etc.

    If still having issues with the search function, you may doa clean install on the SL, bring your data back and then run the Lion upgrade.  Everything will get back to normal including the outlook search.

  • klarkaboo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I recently bought a new Macbook Pro with Lion installed. I migrated all my files/programs from my old MBP using the migration assistant. Everything in Outllok 2011 seemed to be fine except I found that my tasks list had disappeared and I couldn't search my contacts list (no results). I eventually rebuilt the database and things worked fine for about 2 weeks, then my tasks disappeared again as well as search abilities. I tried rebuilding the database a number of times and did a Spotlight reindexing. Still no tasks, no search. Here's what I found worked for me:


    I closed Outlook and moved the individual task files out of their database folder (Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/Main Identity/Data Records/Tasks/0T/0B/0M/38K) into a temporary folder on the desktop. I did a restart and when an error message came up about rebuilding the database, I clicked cancel. Then I put the task files back in their folder and opened Outlook. They showed up. I did the same thing for my contact files and it fixed the search function. I don't know if this fix will stay but at least it works for now.

  • JerMac Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

    Very interesting, thanks for sharing. It seemed your workaround provides a kind of partial reset of the index. I will certainly make a note of it.

Previous 1 2 Next