Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express usb-port

can I connect a external USB-HD to airport express for backup's ?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 11:10 AM

6 replies

Jun 11, 2012 11:23 AM in response to Tesserax

I have a (maybe) similar question, with a twist. I have a home network with an APExtreme connected directly to the cable ISP; and APExpress one-floor-down, for playing music around the home and PlayStation streaming; and in the basement office, another APExpress. The problem is that the ethernet port is occupied by my VoIP phone, making it impossible to connect my Xerox printer via ethernet. However, the Xerox can also be connected using a USB. So: can I leave the VoIP phone connected with the APExpress, and connect the printer with the USB? Or do I have to keep connecting/disconnecting to use the printer/scanner, etc.? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jun 11, 2012 11:40 AM in response to loonranger

Why not add a simple 5-port Ethernet switch to the AirPort Express?

One port on the switch will be used to connect to the Express, and 2 more for the phone and printer/scanner. You will still have 2 free ports for more devices.

Simple plug and play. No programming or configuration needed. Something like this,for example at any electronics superstore:

5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch 10/100/1000 Mbps - Walmart

You can connect the printer/scanner to the USB port on the Express and go through the process to "Add" a new device....but only the printer will work....no scan function, maintenance, supply checks, etc. here. Probably not what you want.

Airport express usb-port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.