Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie 09 and Sony HDR-XR160

I have imovie 09. I want the Sony HDR-X160.

Can anyone confirm that it works with imovie 09. I read that the model before it does (XR-150)

I have read the list for compatible cameras already and it is unclear. Can anyone that has the camera confirm that it works with 09?

Also- on day I will upgrade and be on imovie 11- so I want to make sure that the camera works for that one too.

thanks

imac 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 11:40 AM

12 replies

Sep 19, 2011 7:17 PM in response to kroes

I think a lot of times if people can't confirm it they don't write back. Which isn't to say someone out there doesn't have that camera. They might, they just don't use iMovie '09 and can't confirm it, etc. Depending on how new the camera is too, it might take a while before it is purchased widely too. There's a lot of factors in play before anyone can confirm something works.

Nov 16, 2011 5:09 PM in response to kroes

Something that I find annoying is my old copy of Final Cut Express will not work in Snow Leopard. I have older software that works, but not Final Cut. It looks as if Final Cut Express is no more and I don't really want to purchase Final Cut Pro. If I did purchase a copy of Pro, I work for a very small school and I don't want a 20 seat license -- I want one copy. Ideas on the best way to make this purchase?

bart

Mar 5, 2012 1:34 PM in response to Bart in Montana

Good to know iMovie works with this camera as I have just bought the same. With some research it does appear that iMovie will not support import at 1080p. Is this the case? What settings are you using ... It was recommended that I use 720p but I do not think the camera can be set to this.

Are you using 1080p with 50/60i ? If so what kind of quality image are you rendering out of iMovie?

Thanks for your help.

Mar 5, 2012 3:26 PM in response to matthewfox1972

I just use the standard camera settings for video and I import into iMovie at the 960x540. The quality is good -- especially when compared to what we had just a few years ago. People I've talked with said they found that the added quality -- disk space gobbled up by the higher settings -- were not worth it for your standard school project.

As for iMovie 9 -- I like it. I didn't like the first iMovie rebuild and just kept loading the old iMovie HD onto the newest computer. Then, with this Sony, I was forced to use iMovie 9, which I now like much, much better.

As for the camera itself, like I said earlier, I like everything except for the lack of an eye piece.

Bart

Jul 13, 2012 10:36 AM in response to kroes

This camera should work with iMovie if the files you are recording are on standard definition. If you are recording in HD and creating avchd files, then iMovie will not recognize your camera or files. The goal is to record in HD and have iMovie edit seemless. I do not know if that is possible. I think it is not possible at this point without having the files being converted from AVCHD format to AIC.

Sony does have a PMB software, does anyone know if this PMB software will convert to AIC?

imovie 09 and Sony HDR-XR160

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.