Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change an IMAP MacMail acct. to a POP acct on my iMac?

Hello,

I have an iMac OS 10.6.8 and am using MacMail through AT&T (I know, yuck). Today I created a new macmail account. I noticed it automatically created an IMAP account. I also noticed the incoming and outgoing mail servers didn't match my other email accounts (all POP accounts) so I changed them (along w/the Port # & a few other things). When I first changed the incoming mail server to pop.att.yahoo, I noticed the Account Type changed to att.net POP. Yay! But somewhere along the line, it's back to an IMAP account w/all the POP settings. ???

I cannot find any information at AT&T nor here about how to change an IMAP account to a POP account. As I mentioned, MacMail did NOT offer me a choice when creating this new email account and there is no button-down option to choose POP on Account Type. Any suggestions? Did something in MacMail change in the past year or two?

Thank you!

lablady

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), using Epson stylus NX420 with it

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 11:31 AM

1 reply

Jul 24, 2011 1:00 PM in response to lablady

Lablady here--> I can't seem to find a way to edit my initial post so I'm adding information in a reply:

From further research & chatting with AT&T, they keep asking me to "Deselect "Automatically set up account" if it is enabled." and that that button should be on the first window when I click to Add an Account. It is NOT there.

I've been searching the Internet and have found nothing that offers an explanation although I have seen other people asking a similar question: "Can you create a POP account with macmail 4.5?" which seems to say that someone else is having the same problem that I'm having.

Also, it was suggested that perhaps I have reached my limit of POP accounts, so macmail won't create another one. I have my primary account plus 4 sub accounts with POP. I've never heard of any limits on POP or IMAP accounts, have you?

This really is ridiculous. If there is a way to DeSelect Automatically setting up the accounts, can someone send me a screen shot? Or was that option removed with macmail 4.5?? I've been through all the information within macmail: General, Accounts, RSS, Junk Mail, Fonts & colors, Viewing, Composing, Signatures, Rules and don't see a thing about that. I've also looked through the macmail drop-down choices: Mail, File, Edit, etc. and don't see anything that says to DeSelect or even TO Select this option. What am I missing?

I don't like having anything on servers. I want my mail downloaded onto my computer & immediately deleted from the server. I really need to get this email up and running in POP so I would appreciate any ideas, suggestions you have. Many thanks! 🙂

lablady

How do I change an IMAP MacMail acct. to a POP acct on my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.