Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my monitor dimming all the time?

Ever since I installed Lion on my Mac Pro (with Samsung monitor) it keeps dimming the monitor all on it's own. I have to go to System preferences>Displays and as soon as I click on the colour tab, it brings the brightness back.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how it can be stopped?

Mac Pro, Macbook Pro

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 11:47 AM

10 replies

Jul 25, 2011 5:52 PM in response to NoctenalOxide

I am having a similar issue, also with my new Mac Pro. I ahve (2) monitors connected- a new Samsung Syncmaster 2494 connected via the DVI port and a 3 year old Samsung Syncmaster2493hm connected to a minidisplayport with an active Accell DVI-D to Minidisplayport adapter. This is the monitor that occasionally dims. I had previously had a Mac DVI-Mini Displyport adaptor before the accell one and still saw the occasional random dimming.

Jul 26, 2012 12:13 AM in response to NoctenalOxide

I have had my imac for about 1 year and all of a sudden mine is dimming also and I get it back by doing the same thing, clicking on "colour" in preferences. Why is it doing this right out of the blue? I'm thinking however that because my computer was getting so hot in the upper right hand corner at the back, that I may have changed the settings to sleep after inactivity. That would not cause this dimming however would it? I use smcFancontrol to control the heat now so it works great at keeping this thing cool but the dimming is driving me crazy.

Sep 11, 2012 12:07 PM in response to NoctenalOxide

Hi Guys,

This one got me at first too.

Their are TWO locations that effect the brightness of your monitor.

1) Preferences -> Displays -> Display (automatically adjust brightness) and

2) Preferences -> Energy Saver (automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep.

I'd recommend switching off the screen saver and going straight for 'Display Sleep' under Energy saver to preserve the screen and not to waste electricity.

A.

Why is my monitor dimming all the time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.