Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2011 1:17 PM by Flori72
CraigieMann Level 1 (0 points)

I've noticed quite a lot of lag since installing Lion on my MacBook Pro (2011 BM). Playback has failed on a number of occasions, also.

Anyone else had a problem?

MacBook Pro
  • ctholland Level 1 (0 points)

Hey, I installed Lion yesterday...I was working smoothly in Garageband until POOF!

There is lagging and failing to stop when hitting the stop key, lagging when clicking to edit a section..... the editor will fail to move and stay at a desired section and the editor area will move frantically back and forth on its own. 

I have sufficient processor speed and the track is not over burdened with live audio tracks. A couple loops and one vocal I do not imagine it could be the RAM.

PLEASE, anyone.... HELP. I need to get moving on the new track and am unable to continue.

• CraigieMann Level 1 (0 points)

I have even less going on in the project I'm currently doing. If I try to scroll through the tracks whilst it's playing, the screen persistantly stops and starts, as if I was using my ten year old PC.

It makes using GarageBand very irritating, and virtually impossible if doing live edits.

Thank you for adding to this post. There is a serious issue that needs great attention.

Please if you receive any info or tips, post them.. I will do the same.

Hey All: 

I did some searching and found the following link, installed the update and it is SEEMING to have fixed the problem. Will update with issues on this issue if they persist. 

• CraigieMann Level 1 (0 points)

I've been having my issues whilst running GarageBand on that update and with Lion...

• Namgyel Level 1 (0 points)

Have serious lag and problems with it and is version 6.0.4... It also won't import new songs directly from iTunes to the GarageBand... why is that? I have to open Finder and find the song.

It just starts and works, and works and does nothing... :S - never had problems with it in Snow Leopard.

• Room 34 Level 1 (0 points)

I am experiencing many of these same problems with GarageBand (6.0.4) since installing Lion. I'm using a 2010 MacBook Air 11-inch with 4 GB of RAM. GarageBand always ran fine on this Mac before the Lion upgrade, but since I installed Lion I find many times the program becomes unresponsive during playback/recording: I can't click buttons, change volume levels, etc. Eventually it does come back and respond. But it's VERY laggy and buggy.

Also a seemingly related problem... and this is truly bizarre... songs I've created with GarageBand and "sent" to iTunes will frequently crash iTunes. And I don't think it's just corrupted files. Even if I do further editing with them in Sound Studio (my post-product app of choice) and/or convert them to a different format (e.g. AIFF/WAV/MP3), they STILL crash iTunes, and they're the ONLY songs that crash iTunes.

Luckily recording music is just an amateur pursuit for me, but it's still something I do a lot and take very seriously, and it's incredibly frustrating that GarageBand is so unstable under Lion.

• BullSwede Level 1 (0 points)

For the first time, I find myself balling up my fists and wanting to punch a hole in my 27" iMac. Garageband since the Lion upgrade has been frustrating beyond words, and the lack of response to these threads from Apple make me want to smack a Genius.

I have a quad core Core i7 iMac with 8GB ram, and the day before Lion, Garageband was one of the aspects that had me bragging to everyone I met; now, after Lion, GARAGEBAND IS UTTERLY UNUSABLE!!!

Every mouse click causes a beachball, and importing a song from the media browser causes a terminal freeze (sometimes needing a power cycle to correct).

Apple, please help me--I want to love you, and I want my iMac and its software to "just work."

• HangTime Level 9 (50,455 points)

BullSwede wrote:

Apple, please help me...

this is a user-to-user support forum, you're not going to hear from Apple here

• Flori72 Level 1 (5 points)

Garageband is slow and crashes very often. I have the latest updates on everything. It is very disapointing as this is the main reason why I bought a Mac over a year ago. On Snow Leopard, it was so fast and stable. I will probably reinstall the Leopard.

I have done something that helped. I reinstalled the whole system and did it in this way:

1. installed Lion

2. installed programs ONE BY ONE

3. only then did I reload my music and pictures and other data back to my computer.

The whole iLife programs pack works better now. It seems that when installed with multiple things at a time it gets fregmented and it doesn't work that well. Had no problems since then.

Hope it helps...

Thanks for that advice. Today I reinstalled iLife, and Garageband hasn't crashed since. So I believe you are right.

I haven't dare to reinstall Lion yet, but I think a clean install would solve lots of problems.

How did you do the clean install? Did you notice any performance upgrade in other area with that?

I did it using an USB installation method - and did it in slow moves - first Lion, then Garageband and other computers, but one by one - so it does not get fregmented.

It is a bit slower than SL in all programs but I think this'll get better with updates. Slower in opening programs and booting the computer. But as I said when I slowly reinstalled the system with programs it works much better.

Did I answer your questions?

I just finished reinstalling everything. I would suggest the Migration Assistant, it is quite good, at least for the documents, music, ....

The whole computer is faster than what it used to be for now. I will see once I spend hours in GB.

Yes, you answered the question.

Previous 1 2 Next