Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2011 1:17 PM by Flori72
CraigieMann Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've noticed quite a lot of lag since installing Lion on my MacBook Pro (2011 BM). Playback has failed on a number of occasions, also.

Anyone else had a problem?

MacBook Pro
  • ctholland Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hey, I installed Lion yesterday...I was working smoothly in Garageband until POOF!

There is lagging and failing to stop when hitting the stop key, lagging when clicking to edit a section..... the editor will fail to move and stay at a desired section and the editor area will move frantically back and forth on its own. 

I have sufficient processor speed and the track is not over burdened with live audio tracks. A couple loops and one vocal track....so I do not imagine it could be the RAM.

PLEASE, anyone.... HELP. I need to get moving on the new track and am unable to continue.

• CraigieMann Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have even less going on in the project I'm currently doing. If I try to scroll through the tracks whilst it's playing, the screen persistantly stops and starts, as if I was using my ten year old PC.

It makes using GarageBand very irritating, and virtually impossible if doing live edits.

Thank you for adding to this post. There is a serious issue that needs great attention.

Please if you receive any info or tips, post them.. I will do the same.

Thanks.

Hey All: 

I did some searching and found the following link, installed the update and it is SEEMING to have fixed the problem. Will update with issues on this issue if they persist. 

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1410

C.

• CraigieMann Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've been having my issues whilst running GarageBand on that update and with Lion...

• Namgyel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Have serious lag and problems with it and is version 6.0.4... It also won't import new songs directly from iTunes to the GarageBand... why is that? I have to open Finder and find the song.

It just starts and works, and works and does nothing... :S - never had problems with it in Snow Leopard.

• Room 34 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am experiencing many of these same problems with GarageBand (6.0.4) since installing Lion. I'm using a 2010 MacBook Air 11-inch with 4 GB of RAM. GarageBand always ran fine on this Mac before the Lion upgrade, but since I installed Lion I find many times the program becomes unresponsive during playback/recording: I can't click buttons, change volume levels, etc. Eventually it does come back and respond. But it's VERY laggy and buggy.

Also a seemingly related problem... and this is truly bizarre... songs I've created with GarageBand and "sent" to iTunes will frequently crash iTunes. And I don't think it's just corrupted files. Even if I do further editing with them in Sound Studio (my post-product app of choice) and/or convert them to a different format (e.g. AIFF/WAV/MP3), they STILL crash iTunes, and they're the ONLY songs that crash iTunes.

Luckily recording music is just an amateur pursuit for me, but it's still something I do a lot and take very seriously, and it's incredibly frustrating that GarageBand is so unstable under Lion.

• BullSwede Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

For the first time, I find myself balling up my fists and wanting to punch a hole in my 27" iMac. Garageband since the Lion upgrade has been frustrating beyond words, and the lack of response to these threads from Apple make me want to smack a Genius.

I have a quad core Core i7 iMac with 8GB ram, and the day before Lion, Garageband was one of the aspects that had me bragging to everyone I met; now, after Lion, GARAGEBAND IS UTTERLY UNUSABLE!!!

Every mouse click causes a beachball, and importing a song from the media browser causes a terminal freeze (sometimes needing a power cycle to correct).

Apple, please help me--I want to love you, and I want my iMac and its software to "just work."

• HangTime Level 9 Level 9 (50,325 points)

BullSwede wrote:

Apple, please help me...

this is a user-to-user support forum, you're not going to hear from Apple here

• Flori72 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Garageband is slow and crashes very often. I have the latest updates on everything. It is very disapointing as this is the main reason why I bought a Mac over a year ago. On Snow Leopard, it was so fast and stable. I will probably reinstall the Leopard.

I have done something that helped. I reinstalled the whole system and did it in this way:

1. installed Lion

2. installed programs ONE BY ONE

3. only then did I reload my music and pictures and other data back to my computer.

The whole iLife programs pack works better now. It seems that when installed with multiple things at a time it gets fregmented and it doesn't work that well. Had no problems since then.

Hope it helps...

Thanks for that advice. Today I reinstalled iLife, and Garageband hasn't crashed since. So I believe you are right.

I haven't dare to reinstall Lion yet, but I think a clean install would solve lots of problems.

How did you do the clean install? Did you notice any performance upgrade in other area with that?

I did it using an USB installation method - and did it in slow moves - first Lion, then Garageband and other computers, but one by one - so it does not get fregmented.

It is a bit slower than SL in all programs but I think this'll get better with updates. Slower in opening programs and booting the computer. But as I said when I slowly reinstalled the system with programs it works much better.

Did I answer your questions?

I just finished reinstalling everything. I would suggest the Migration Assistant, it is quite good, at least for the documents, music, ....

The whole computer is faster than what it used to be for now. I will see once I spend hours in GB.

Thanks!

Yes, you answered the question.

Previous 1 2 Next