9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2011 8:53 AM by Spid
i-lied Level 1 Level 1
expertise.iphone
iPhone

Is there a known issue with Flash in Safari on Lion? Firefox works fine but in Safari any webpage with a embedded Flash video (with the execption of YouTube) doesn't seem to work. Does anybody else have the same issue?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • AAndreano Level 1 Level 1

I do and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. Everything works fine in firefox, but safari just loads youtube or other videos with a black screen. Frustrating because videos on apple.com work just not youtube, mlb, flas based videos. Ahhhh! Anyone know how to fix this issue?

• Spid Level 1 Level 1

Even worst... It WAS working fine and doesn't work anymore

I did the fresh OS X Lion install and everything was working fine. I even didn't install anything for Flash, it was just working fine, for YouTube videos and all other flash stuff. CPU hungry as usual, but it was fine.

I did install additional Quicktime codecs, and apparently it messed up everything because no Flash video is working anymore. I tried to uninstall/reinstall, flush, reset cache, remove/deleting files, etc... Well, I read dozen of things to do, and nothing's working. I can get it working fine in Chrome, but nothing in Safari

Unfortunately, I didn't backup my Quicktime original OS X Lion files (from /Library/Quicktime and /System/Library/Quicktime folders). I can't restore the few files I did overwrite during the folder copy for the new codec files.

I'm not sure it's related, but it looks to be the only one thing I did change between the moment it was working fine and now...

Any help would be welcomed... Until then, I'll be using Chrome...

Phil

• Socially_Cal Level 1 Level 1

I have the same problem with Flash, update it to Adobe Flash 11, you can get it from the Adobe Labs, it is still in beta, but it seem to solve a lot of problems.

Calvin

• Spid Level 1 Level 1

Hi Calvin,

Well, I just downloaded the Flash 11 beta, tried it and I don't know if it did "fix" anything, but at least it seems that the Youtube videos work again...

Thanks a lot... after a long day of trouble shooting, it's a real relief!

Phil

• Socially_Cal Level 1 Level 1

I also read it off some forum this afternoon. We all got a long road to battle the lion hahaha.

Cal.

• Spid Level 1 Level 1

yeah! Now flash is fixed, the scrolling too... We only need to get the icon colors back and it should be good

Phil

• mauijiminar Level 4 Level 4

No there is not a log battle for Lion.  I have not had ONE thing not work with Lion.  Of course this is always filed with that small % of people who have trouble, so things people are having trouble with here are not the norm.  I flash NEVER stopped working.

• Spid Level 1 Level 1

Well, we also know that Safari has always been the most fragile and unstable apps of OS X. I actually do believe it's the weakness point of OS X (all versions, from Tiger to Lion).

Of course, most of the problems are not directly linked to Safari, but to the plug-ins, from java to flash, or any extensions and stuff like that... but in the end, when something is CPU hungry, slow, buggy and you got the Volley Beach ball spining again and again... you're just ****** off about Safari...

Phil

• Spid Level 1 Level 1

Hi Calvin,

It looks like some codec aren't still fixed and cause me some troubles with quicktime

Does anyone could just send me his/her original OS X Lion codec files?

It's the files on the /Library/Quicktime folder.

Thanks in advance for the help

Phil