Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

programs opening at startup

I just installed Lion.

Now, at start up,:

iTunes and Email open up, which I want. These are in the "Login Items" box.

Word and Excel also open up. Which I do NOT want. These, however, are NOT in the "Login Items" box. So, I cannot prohibit them from there.

How do I prevent these programs from opening up when the computer is turned on.

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 2:52 PM

6 replies

Jul 24, 2011 3:18 PM in response to sirgunther

It could be a couple of things. In Lion it will start Apps left open the last time you logged off or shut down the machine. You can turn this feature off in System Preferences - General and uncheck Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps

The next thing to check is Login Items. In System Preferences - Users and Groups - Login Items. Highlight the items you do NOT want to lauch and then click the - symbol below them.

BTW if you are shutting down your machine at the end of the day you are not following Apple's recommendation. In your owners manual it says to let the machine sleep when not being used unless you will be away for a few days. Generally I leave mine on 24/7 and let the monitor sleep, my system has been running like this for about 4 years and has been extremely reliable.

Jul 24, 2011 3:23 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Julie BL,

I think I figured it out, (after reading that link).

As a courtesy, Lion opens up the programs that were running when the computer was last turned off. So, Word and Excel were on when the computer was turned off, and so they open when turned off.

I gather there is a way to turn off all programs before closing.

________

ABOUT HOW OFTEN TO TURN OFF THE MAC.

I used the computer pretty much all day, and my wife uses it at night. So, I like to give it a rest when possible.

You folks think turning it off every day is too often?

programs opening at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.