Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 video focal length image zoom

When I switch from photo to video on iPhone 4 iOS 4.3.3 the image gets zoomed in.
I need it to stay wide just like when the phone is in picture mode. What's up with that?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 4:33 PM

3 replies

Jul 24, 2011 5:24 PM in response to Meko511

I am troubled by your question. i didn't realize this until i saw this question. i was trying it on my iphone and it looks as if there is no other setting to zoom out. if you report this to apple maybe they can fix it in the next update. in the time being i was looking at some camera apps and they work for what you want for the video camera. wish i could be of more help but this is all i have.

Nov 23, 2011 11:15 AM in response to Meko511

Although this applies to an iPhone 4S and Apple iOS 5.01, this might help you understand what is going on.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3490649

User uploaded file

rbrdly

User uploaded fileLevel 1 (10 points)

Has to do with the resolution at which photos and video are recorded.

The camera records still photos at 8 megapixels.

The dimensions of which, are: 3264 x 2448

It records video at 1080p (roughly 2 megapixels).

The dimensions of which, are: 1920 x 1080

It's kinda 'cropping' the image.

User uploaded file

BSteely

User uploaded fileLevel 5 (7,625 points)

It's for a combination of reasons. The sensor has an aspect ratio (width to height) of 4:3. Video is shot at 16:9, so it doesn't use all the height available on the sensor. Also, when shooting video, there is a border of pixels set aside for the electronic image stabilization. The combination of the two results in two different apparent zoom factors comparing stills to video.

iPhone 4 video focal length image zoom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.