Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Office 2008 issues.  Help. Excel not opening and other issues!

I converted to Lion on day one. I was able to use Microsoft Office 2008 without problem for days, then, just today, every time I go to open an excel file it opens, closes, then gives me the option of sending error reports to Microsoft. Word opens fine. The program is totally up to date (just did the 12.3 update). I repaired disk permissions, restarted the computer twice. Still, the same things happen. Here is the message I get for the Microsoft Excell Error Report:

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS

Date/Time: 2011-07-25 00:43:45 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Excel

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Excel

Application Signature: XCEL

Application Version: 12.3.0.110427

Crashed Module Name: unknown

Crashed Module Version: unknown

Crashed Module Offset: unknown

Blame Module Name: unknown

Blame Module Version: unknown

Blame Module Offset: unknown

Application LCID: 1033

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Crashed thread: 0

OTHER ISSUES

The other thing that happens is that whether on Word or Excel when I click on a file to open it, it keeps trying to open all the recent files from that program intead of *just the ONE* that I want it to open. I also notice on Safari that when I reopen the program it opens ALL the websites I recently visited even though I don't have that checked as a preference... What gives??????????

Any suggestions. I am freakingout here, really need to get into these documents.

Alum iMac 24, Mac OS X (10.6.4), a mac guy since 1986

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 5:53 PM

20 replies

Jul 24, 2011 6:03 PM in response to Templeton Peck

That is really not the answer I was looking for. I have used Microsoft Office 2008 since inception and never had this problem until I updated to Lion. So it is a problem as a result of the update. As I said, when Excel was working it kept trying to open every single file I had opened with Excel or Word since the Lion update, that, to me, is not a Microsoft problem it is a Lion problem.

Jul 24, 2011 7:35 PM in response to bikinijack

This sounds like it might be a corrupted .plist file.

Open a Finder window then pull down Go > Go To Folder. Type "~/Library/Preferences" (without the quotations) and hit Enter. Scroll down in the window and find the file named "com.microsoft.excel.plist" and move it to the trash. Don't empty the trash. Now launch Excel again. Let us know what happens.

Jul 24, 2011 8:27 PM in response to bikinijack

I'm not sure if this will work, but let's try repairing the disk.

Restart while holding down CMD+S.

When you get to the command prompt type "fsck -f" (without the quotations) and hit Return.

Let this run.

If it tells you the file system was modified do it again until you don't see that message again.

Type "reboot" and hit enter to restart.

Give that a try and let us know what happens with Excel.

Microsoft Office 2008 issues.  Help. Excel not opening and other issues!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.