Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inquiry about Time Machine.

Hello Everybody,

How are you today?

I have a question concerning Time Machine.

After I finished creating a full backup, I would like to compress the folder Backups.backupdb, compress it or even add it to a .dmg file. But unfortunately I failed.

Is it possible?

If yes, so how?

The error while compressing it is: (The operation can't be completed because you do't have permission to access ".spotlight_repair".)

The error while adding it to a .dmg file is: (Tge backup can't be completed because the backup volume doesn't have ownership enabled.)

Thanks,

Boudy,

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7), RAM: 4GB

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 6:53 PM

11 replies

Jul 25, 2011 1:47 AM in response to Pondini

Hello Pondini, How are you?

Thanks for your information.

Let me make my issue more clear for you...

My Mac is Macbook aluminuim Late 2008, Lunched with Leopard 10.5.5, So, to install Lion (upgrade version), I have to install 10.5.5 then 10.6 then 10.6.8 then 10.7, So, lots of steps to do to have a fresh installion.

My Sister is the same issue, So, I will not do the same for the 2 Macs everytime I want to instal a fresh installion.

After I downloaded Lion, I decided to Install a fresh installation from scratch, and before using it or installing any apps, I decided to take a time machine backup to be fresh for future use.

My External HDD i divided in to 6 partition, only one of them are for time machine, So, after I finished installing 10.5.5 till 10.7 i started to make a full backup, it wents fine and everything is clear here.

Then I will start using my mac for my normal use, I will install my apps and everything.

What I want is to keep the 1st backup apart from all the next backups, for future installion or even for my sister's mac.

But the next backup starts to modify the 1st backup and so on. I know that it create another backup, but when the partition size becomes to an end, it automatically delete old backup.

I want to save this backup in a safe place for future use.

I tried something but unfortunately I failed, which is from Disk Utilities to add the whole TM partition to a .dmg file, but this partition is 200GB, so the dmg file will be also 200GB also which very huge. The backup folder it self is just 6.0GB.

Thanks for your help anyway,

Boudy,

Jul 25, 2011 8:29 AM in response to Abdelaal EL-Hayawan

Abdelaal EL-Hayawan wrote:

. . .

My Mac is Macbook aluminuim Late 2008, Lunched with Leopard 10.5.5, So, to install Lion (upgrade version), I have to install 10.5.5 then 10.6 then 10.6.8 then 10.7, So, lots of steps to do to have a fresh installion.

No, you don't.

First, your best bet is to simply install OSX over your current Snow Leopard system. Erasing everything and tediously copying back rarely accomplishes anything good.

But if you want to do it, you don't have to go through all that. Just erase a partition, download Lion from a SL partition and install it on the empty partition. Then use Setup Assistant to transfer your stuff, per Using Setup Assistant on Lion

What I want is to keep the 1st backup apart from all the next backups, for future installion or even for my sister's mac.

But the next backup starts to modify the 1st backup and so on. I know that it create another backup, but when the partition size becomes to an end, it automatically delete old backup.

Yes, but it only deletes the backups of things that no longer exist on your system. Every backup is, in effect, a full one; you can do a full system restore from any remaining backup (as long as you didn't omit system files).

I want to save this backup in a safe place for future use.

Again, you don't need to. But if you want to, put it on a separate partition. Do not try to compress it or alter it in any way, or it will no longer be recognized as a Time Machine backup.

Jul 25, 2011 3:02 PM in response to Pondini

Thanks Pondini for these useful information.

Now, let us move to another question.

You know that with Lion, after installing it, you have the Recovery HD.

After having a full backup, if I restore it, Recovery HD will no longer be avilable.

So, Recovery HD is only when Lion installed.

Is there a way to backup with TM and still have the option of Recovery HD.?

Thanks,

Boudy

Jul 25, 2011 4:18 PM in response to Pondini

No Sir.

After I downloaded Lion.app, I restored its image to a partition to boot from it. So its not Recovery HD.

I do not if know this this bootable disk as same as the Recovery HD or no?

Sir, I have very important another problem, but concerning mobile account with active directory.

can you help with this issue. It was working fine before installing Lion.

At my busniess environemt, we have domain controller on Windows Server 2003.

After joining the domain controller, if mobile account is on, the home folder for the domain user will not be created. if the mobile account if off, the home user will be created.

And after a user join a domain, it should be added to the list of user accounts at the log in screen, unfortunately it does not.

to see more about this issue, please check this discussion:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3209660?answerId=15741500022#15741500022

Thanks,

Jul 25, 2011 4:27 PM in response to Abdelaal EL-Hayawan

Abdelaal EL-Hayawan wrote:

No Sir.

After I downloaded Lion.app, I restored its image to a partition to boot from it. So its not Recovery HD.

I do not if know this this bootable disk as same as the Recovery HD or no?

No, it's not. That will install Lion, which will create a Recovery HD.

Sir, I have very important another problem, but concerning mobile account with active directory.

Sorry, I don't do Windoze. 😉

Hopefully someone will be able to help in that thread.

Inquiry about Time Machine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.