Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1 downloads .pdf's instead of opening them

Yesterday I upgraded to Safari 5.1 for my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8. Now when I click on a .pdf file on a page in Safari, the file downloads into my Downloads folder and two additional windows open up plus the .pdf (one is a blank page, the other is the contents of the Downloads folder). Now for each .pdf I open, I have to delete it from my Downloads folder into the trash rather than simply closing the .pdf when I'm finished with it. Is there a way to reset this to the way it used to be?

MacBook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 8:29 PM

8 replies

Jul 25, 2011 3:37 AM in response to DocSarvis

I have the same exact problem with the exception that it does not happen to all pdfs. I mainly use scientific journals and it seems that just a few work as before i.e. pdf opens within the browser.

I have reported this bug to Apple but I have not heard anything since. I have also tried to open Safari in 32bit mode plus all the other stuff with setting Adobe plugins on/off/remove etc and nothing does work.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Jul 25, 2011 7:19 AM in response to DocSarvis

I have recently upgraded to Lion OS X 10.7 and now Safari does not even show PDF documents, let alone download them. A black page appears with the QuickTime logo cancelled saying that QuickTime needed additional software. This is apparently a problem with Adobe. On their corresponding page Adobe «thinks that the problem will be solved by the end of 2011!» Fantastic! However, the download of PDF documents under Lion works perfectly well under Google Chrome 12.0.742.122.

Apple should better get a solution to this annoying problem very fast, or people could get used to using Google Chrome.

Jul 25, 2011 8:30 PM in response to DocSarvis

Guys, it is not a bug, Safari needs a plugin. The best is free as long as you are using it for personal or educational use;

http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

Download the plugin and place it in Mac HD/Library/Internet Plug-ins for every account on your Mac to access or in ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins for using the plugin just in your account.

EDIT - I have just been informed that it comes with an installer.

Jul 25, 2011 8:45 PM in response to DocSarvis

See Adobe's comments on the subject:

With today’s release of the Safari 5.1 browser, we wanted to alert you of some compatibility issues and workarounds that relate to Adobe Reader and Acrobat. Adobe Reader and Acrobat are not compatible with the Safari 5.1 browser, announced today.

go to:

http://blogs.adobe.com/adobereader/2011/07/compatibility-advisory-regarding-adob e-reader-plug-in-and-acrobat-plug-in-with-safari-5-1.html#comment-1616

Aug 1, 2011 1:43 AM in response to DocSarvis

Hi Everyone,

I'm having the same issue as reported by DocSarvis. I have never been using Adobe Acrobat on my Mac's - as the Preview plug-in for Safari have work perfect for me, that is until Safari 5.1.

Some sites, the PDF file is viewed perfectly wihtin Safari, as with earlier versions of Safari, but other including my Bank, somehow tricks Safari to download the file instead of just viewing it as before upgrading Safari.

Have anyone succeeded twiking Safari to view all PDF files from any sites - or do I really need to install the mention plug-in from http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/ - in order for Safari to work as before?

Safari 5.1 downloads .pdf's instead of opening them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.