Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change default in the Shut Down dialog?

I posted this in the Safari forum with regards to disabling Resume, but I'm thinking an answer is more likely to be forthcoming here. Apologies for cross posting.

As people are discovering, you cant' disable Resume completely by unchecking the option Pref > General > Restore windows when quitting apps.

Even with this unchecked, Resume will still re-open any apps that you didn't manually quit before shutdown. In order to stop Lion re-opening all your running apps at Shutdown time, you have to uncheck this box:

User uploaded file

However, you have to remember to do this EVERY time because the default behaviour is to have it checked (even if you unchecked it last time round). What I would like to know is how to change the default behaviour so this box comes up unchecked by default. Presumably there must be something I can do in Terminal that will change this? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.7), 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 1:07 AM

34 replies

Jul 26, 2011 7:28 AM in response to softwater

I definitely agree. I came to this thread becuase I was searching on Google for a way to make the box be unchecked by default. Unchecking the system settings preference "Restore windows when quitting apps." should make the box be unchecked by default in my opinion, but whatever, as along as there is a way to change it I don't care how. Apple, please give me this option. I know many others that want it that way as well but probably woud never post on a forum like this.

Jul 26, 2011 11:48 PM in response to softwater

Elsewhere, it is being reported that you can permanently turn off app specific resume's like Safari and Preview with this command in Terminal

defaults write com.apple.Preview ApplePersistenceIgnoreState YES

or

defaults write com.apple.Safari ApplePersistenceIgnoreState YES

Worth doing if you're worried about websites or pdf popping back up unexpectedly when you don't want others to accidentally see what you were working on. If you want to restore it just type the same commands replacing the 'YES' with 'NO'

However, I'm still looking for a terminal command that will turn off that checkbox though... 😢

Jul 27, 2011 6:21 PM in response to AnaMusic

Ana... it won't do any good.

Lots of us in the Appleseed program requested it for months and we weren't listened to... as is obvious.

I can't imagine anyone would have a problem with Resume if, as long as we wanted to, we could completely deactivate it so we didn't have to always uncheck that annoying dialog box every time we rebooted or shutdown.

For laptops where you may have to shutdown during a meeting or at an airport I can definitely see the advantage... but if you're working at a fixed site... it can be a real PITA.

Jul 28, 2011 9:18 PM in response to RonL

The problem I'm having with auto resume is that my iTunes library is on a NAS server, and every time that Lion does a kernel panic (yeah, it's done it a few times now) and then resumes the NAS mounts take up to a minute to happen and by that time iTunes has already decided to move my library onto the internal hard drive and I have to manually change it back to the NAS drive.

Very annoying considering I thought "Don't resume apps" would do just that!

Jul 28, 2011 9:33 PM in response to SteveDSD

The problem I'm having with auto resume is that my iTunes library is on a NAS server, and every time that Lion does a kernel panic (yeah, it's done it a few times now) and then resumes the NAS mounts take up to a minute to happen and by that time iTunes has already decided to move my library onto the internal hard drive and I have to manually change it back to the NAS drive. Very annoying considering I thought "Don't resume apps" would do just that!

Steve, u might want to start a new thread for that problem. I am no itunes expert, but I do see here on our machines that when iTunes cannot find the current music library, it will issue a warning message, and it will not try to use another library that does exist on a local machine. I am running the lasted tunes in latest lion. cheers 🙂

Jul 29, 2011 1:33 AM in response to coocooforcocoapuffs

Hi,

I have the problem with iTunes that this is the only program that is startet every time I restart the Mac. All other programs, when I close them and uncheck the resume button on the shutdown message, do not reopen - only iTunes and I can not find a way to stop it from opening.

Is there any way to find out why iTunes will open on any boot?

Thanks

Jul 30, 2011 6:08 PM in response to R. Yannetta

Ian,

Not really.

I was one of the people on the Appleseed team and they refused to change the appearance of the Resume dialog box when a person shuts down or reboots. And it is always checked... it is not possible to completely deactivate Resume.

If you don't believe me simply leave some apps running when you shut down or reboot... they'll activate afterwards even if the preference is unchecked in System Preferences > General > "Restore..."

Mail is usually running whenever I shut down or reboot and if I have it hidden or minimized then when I restart it 'slaps me in the face' and I have to dismiss it. Not good.

This Apple knows best (like with the hiding of the Library) is not user friendly.

Love Apple but sometimes they simply won't listen. (e.g. bud-ugly faux leather frame around iCal and Address Book with it two panes instead of the more useful three panes of SL).

how to change default in the Shut Down dialog?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.