Previous 1 22 23 24 25 26 Next 1,019 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2012 1:06 AM by n748 Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • haoala Level 1 Level 1

    That is excellent news! Thanks, psykdelia. I just wish they had come up with this sooner than later.

  • psykdelia Level 1 Level 1

    @terrymahoney : thanks again. In fact, I ran Snow Leopard from an external disk to see how my MBP was managing it. I ran several CS4 apps. After a while, freezing screen happened again. Diagnostic : when my MBP runs too hot, it freezes. And then came the explanations of the 10.7.2 update with its extension that is implemented in the logic board and that you can't erase no more. End of my MBP. And a tip was given to me : don't buy a new MBP with 10.7.2 in it. And try to find a good second hand one, with snow leopard inside !

  • Lincoln Adams Level 1 Level 1

    Another update:


    So far it's been a week and in that week, it started by initially taking my MacBook in to the Genius bar at a nearby Apple store.  They called the next day saying it was ready, but they did nothing with it because they couldn't duplicate the issue.  I reproduce it for them and they hold it over night.  They then call me because they need the password, but I miss the call and try to call back.


    It takes me over 7 HOURS just to GET THROUGH on the phone.  I finally break through around 8PM, and give them the needed password.  Next day they call and the MacBook is ready.  I go over there, test it out and sure enough it's still beachballing.  They had reinstalled the OS but hadn't wiped it.  I show the tech the problem and this thread too mentioning the replacement of the logic board being the only solution.  They keep it over night again.  Next day I get another call, I call back and thankfully only wait 30 minutes this time.  Now they just ask for the go ahead to send it to a repair center, so the issue has been escalated.  Turnaround about 5-7 days.


    It may wind up that I'll have to pay for this repair too, depends on what they say.  If I get an excessive quote I may just ask to have it returned and put up with this crap until some day, maybe some time before Apple upgrades OS X to 10.8 SabreTooth Tiger or whatever stupid ^&*%ing animal they decide to name it, the bug will actually get patched.


    Morale of the story:  if you see an issue like this pop up, DUMP THE MACBOOK.  Apple is NOT going to fix it (at least not for months and months or years and years, if ever).  I should have just upgraded when they refreshed the MBPs last spring, but stupid me thought it was an obvious bug that would be squashed in 10.7.1, hahaha, God I'm an idiot.  Now it's only a matter of a few months before the MBPs get refreshed again, so maybe I should just hold out till then.  Then dump my old MBP on eBay with AGP disabled so the unsuspecting buyer won't notice the bug, at least not right away.  O:-)

  • Terry Mahoney Level 1 Level 1

    @Lincoln et al. Here's my own (weird) update. I too have now started a "case" with Apple, by phone (much as I hate waiting on the phone, and because of my hearing problems). But the nearest Apple Store and Genius Bar is in Vancouver BC, a time-consuming and expensive, return ferry-trip from home).


    I now understand why there is not much point in quoting a "Case Number", because mine changed when I called a second time and got a different Advisor. I have now completed three calls but the issue is still not resolved.


    On the 3rd call. after I had confirmed with my local Mac Specialist that they had reinstalled Lion 10.7 using a netboot and an Archive-and-install instead of an Erase-and-Install (and I had subsequently used Software Update to update to 10.7.2), the Apple (phone-based) Advisor had me turn on AGS, and do a normal Shutdown followed by a Safe Boot (you hold down the [Shift] key until the gray progress-Bar appears on the gray-Apple screen. (Lion's graphics responded very slowly and jerkily in this mode so I assume Lion was not using the GeForce 330M graphics board). We tried using "Fast User Switching" to test another login account - with no problems. Then we did a normal Shutdown - having to log (slowly) out of both user accounts - and then power-ON, and then tried to reproduce the SBBoD "login hard-freeze".


    I/We could NOT reproduce the SBBoD! I was surprised, but there the matter rests. If the SBBoD on Login returns I'll post an update.

  • quark79 Level 1 Level 1

    Hi all,


    The SBBoD on the MBP mid 2010 login screen is a Mac OSX Lion 10.7.x BUG.


    After 5 hours spent between the phone support and the Apple Store genius bar in Geneva, the tech guy from genius bar just got the info that Apple engineers are working on that BUG since October 12th !

    Hope this will be done soon !



  • bruleke Level 1 Level 1

    @Terry: Thats good news! But I hope these good news are for all users. I mean... I hope the technician doesnt fix ONLY your problem and dont tell the engineers to fix ours ehheeh!


    Thanks for the update! Keep doing it, me and a lot of people are watching your posts, wishing for the best!

  • Terry Mahoney Level 1 Level 1

    @bruleke: I believe there is hope for all of us . And since this is clearly a "hardware/firmware" problem that seems to be related to AGS-switching, I hope there will soon be another firmware-update - specific to MBP6,2 machines - that will fix all of these machines. The big question now is "When?".


    And, if the expected firmware update doesn't fix the AGS-related issue, there may be a few logic-board replacements - while there are any left - or maybe a new machine - at least for those of you who have AppleCare extensions (I don't ).


    In the meantime, as previouly posted, I have a MBP6,2 that works without freezing or SBBoD - so far - but I'll post again if that changes.

  • Terry Mahoney Level 1 Level 1

    @psykdelia: Sounds like it may be time for a new Mac. I've noticed that the new MBPs with the non-user-servicable batteries run a LOT cooler than the Macs with replaceble battery-packs used to. Which has got to be better for the electronics. I know there are trade-offs. But I appreciate the cooler-running machines with their longer battery-life-between-charges.

  • opiegonefishin Level 1 Level 1

    Same problem - MBP mid 2010 LION freezing on startup. I unplugged extra monitor, rebooted, and problem went away. I reconnected extra monitor, no problems and on 2nd reboot started normally.

  • Lincoln Adams Level 1 Level 1

    Unless the graphic card revision is different, I seriously doubt simply unplugging an extra monitor made it go away for good.  I've never used an external monitor even though I have the same issue.

  • Terry Mahoney Level 1 Level 1

    @bruleke et al.: I said I'd post again if "our bug" reappeared. It just did! So be consoled that my "Safe Boot" followed by a "Normal Shutdown" and "Restart" has NOT banished the "hard freeze at Lion Login" bug.


    I still need the forthcoming firmware update from Apple - just like the rest of you. :-)


    The only interesting new wrinkle is that, before the Login Freeze recurred, I had a spontaneous freeze in Lion. Suddenly, while typing some text, the system just froze. I could still move the cursor around the desktop and click on things but there was no keyboard or cursor response fron the system. I had to force Power-off. Following that, I could not login without getting a freeze. So I did another "Safe Boot" - power down - then reboot - and I am back in business. But for how long is anyone's guess.


    MBP6,2. Lion 10.7.2. NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M - Revision ID: 0x00a2

  • psykdelia Level 1 Level 1

    @terrymahoney : yes, it's time for a new one. The problem is : each new MBP has got Lion inside. So as everybody here, I'm waiting for the upgrade that will solve this freezing screen problem. When it'll be out, then I'll buy a new one. And using with extreme carefulness my old MBP, until this glorious (not so much) day comes.

  • jmacbookpro Level 1 Level 1

    psykdelia: it seems this issue is affecting only some old macbooks. Difficult to confirm by myself, but I would bet you are not going to have our problem if you buy a new macbook pro with Lion preinstalled.

    Anyway, it seems, again, the problem is not in Lion; there are rumors about a future software fix for this issue, but this software fix would be a firmware update, not a Lion update.

    Hope this helps

  • bruleke Level 1 Level 1

    @Terry: I feel terrible to read that. It seems like we are the black ships. Well, at this moment, I dont have Lion installed - for obvious reasons. I think I will install it when 10.7.5 comes out, at least - I am serious about that because my laptop is my main tool for work and studies.


    Is there anything I can help you? The feeling of not being able to help when you are part of the victims is terrible. I see you replied to my thread on MacRumors. I added you as a friend because I want to exchange some messages but seems like your user is 'locked' or something like that. Can you send me a message through MacRumors, so we can talk?


    Thanks a lot.

  • psykdelia Level 1 Level 1

    @jmacbookpro: I guess you are right. But still, I'll wait for the 10.7.5  (as bruleke wrote)  before buying a new MBP!

Previous 1 22 23 24 25 26 Next