Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best video format to encode for playback on iBook G4 1.2GHz?

I have been scratching my head for a week on this. What is the best video format that is highest quality and will playback smoothly on my iBook g4 and my iPhone 4? It has 1.25GB of RAM and I upgraded the HD to a WD 250GB 5400 RPM IDE drive 2 years ago and it's running dual boot Leopard 10.5.8 and Tiger 10.4.11 (keeping Tiger for Classic Mode).

I have a very large HD video collection consisting of 720p HD DVDs and 1080p Bluray discs that I have already spent a year to convert to MKV and MP4 files for storage on my media server. They have all been ripped and encoded with H264 using Handbrake. The average 720p movie is about 4.5GB and the average 1080p movies run about 8GB. I have over 100 movies stored on my media server and they playback fine on all my computers. They work fine on all my Windows 7 systems, they even play fine on my G5 2.0GHz DC late 2005 Powermac with 8.5GB Ram and the NVidia 7800GT.

Most of my 720p files can be reduced in size and or quality to 1-2GB and are playable on my iPhone 4, iPad 2 and even my little Acer Aspire One netbook in m4v or mp4 format.

I know my iBook is out of date, but no matter what compression method I have tried, the only thing it can play is MPEG-2 encoded media. And it cannot handle any h264 video I make, even at 480p settings using the simple profile. Since MPEG-2 takes 4-8GB per movie, this is a huge waste of HD space. And if I encode my movies like the old iPod video size, it looks like crap in full screen. I really want to store about 20 movies on this iBook for playback when I travel since I have 2 extra batteries. I need to movies to playback on the iBook and be able to transfer them to my iPhone 4 or iPad at any time.

Is there any method for getting 480p to encode and playback well on this iBook without making it look like crap or using the old DivX avi standard? If I have to reduce all my movies for playback on the iBook, I don't want to go lower than 480p because I want the same conversions to work on my iPhone 4 as well with decent quality. It is redundant to keep making copies of each movie for each device. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to take my little netbook around with me because the screen is too small and there is no opticle drive.

If anyone has any ideas, please post which Handbrake profile or other that can work... or let me know if my iBook is just garbage now. Thanks!

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4 1.2GHz w/ 250GB HD & 1.25GB RAM

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 3:50 AM

5 replies

Jul 25, 2011 7:37 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

I am not asking you how to rip a DVD. I am asking how to convert any video file for decent playback on my iBook or iPhone!

This feature is available in iTunes so you can convert your DVDs to iPod playable formats. But when iTunes or Handbrake (or even Apple Compressor) convert anything, even my own videos made with Final Cut and iMovie, they will play on any iDevice other than my iBook unless I use the lowest most terrible video format.

I am just trying to figure out the proper video format the iBook can play. I am not ripping the DVD's right now... did that years ago anyways (and half of the videos I want to convert I made with iMovie during my travels in China and Hong Kong... I am just trying to play movies I already own on an older iDevice... my iBook. Converting purchased videos and home made videos is in no way illegal.

You misunderstand what I am asking. I am not trying to break digital copyright. If this is breaking digital copyright, then why does iTunes allow me to convert the movies for my iPhone 4 in the first place? You are telling me if I didn't purchase the movie from Apple I cannot watch it on my iPhone and iBook? That is not right.

I just want to know what the proper video playback requirements are for the iBook hardware. Plain and simple. If it is illegal in any way to tell me how to do it, just tell me what video my iBook supports. Apple tells me what video my iPhone supports ie. 1280x720p @ 29fps.... blah blah blah. Seems so far the iBook can only play a DVD MPEG-2 stream and no advanced codecs like h263 or h264. I just want to know what format the iBook can handle.

I have exported movies from iTunes and of my time in Hong Kong from iMovie and I cannot get them to play on the iBook at all if they are even 480p. So I just need to know what the max video playback is. If it can only play 320x240 or something, it is completely useless. I remember years ago when I bought the iBook, it did play the sample h263 and h264 videos that Apple had on their website (some of them 480p-720p)... but today it seems it can't play anything but 320x240 or less without getting locked up. I know the HD video requirements are G5 or higher... but we are talking DVD size cannot play in h264 mp4 formats, only MPEG-2 formats. This makes no sense? So I need to know the exact maximum resolution, framerate and codec this iBook 1.2 GHz can handle.

Don't tell my watching movies on my iBook, even the ones I made is illegal.

Jul 25, 2011 5:08 AM in response to atgrazi

Sorry, but according to the Terms of Use, we are not supposed to discuss DVD ripping here.

Do not submit software or descriptions of processes that break or otherwise ‘work around’ digital rights management software or hardware. This includes conversations about ‘ripping’ DVDs or working around FairPlay software used on the iTunes Store.

Jul 25, 2011 7:52 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Let me clarify things a little more. I was married in China in 2008. The wedding was recorded in 1080p on an HD camcorder, I edited, authored it myself with Final Cut and used Compressor to port it to many formats. I also had it burnt in a Chinese photoshop to China Blue format, similar to HD DVD. I have lived here in China for 3 years and haven't seen my family. I am going back to the states in 2 months and wanted to get this video, and many of my other 720p iPhone made videos converted to a format that will play on my iBook. I will be carrying the original .mov and .mp4 files on an external hard disk to copy for my family, but I would like to find the best format that will play directly on the iBook as well.

Now, the part you might tell me is illegal.... I have several purchased movies from Apple, and already ripped movies from my own PURCHASED DVD collection. A few of these I want to watch on the airplane on the way home. Trying to watch them on my iPhone is unbearable and it will be dead 1/4 ways through the 20 hour flight. My iBook has 3 batteries, all of which last 4-5 hours. So it would be great if I could watch these movies, as wells as all my homemade videos on my iBook. I guess it's not going to happen since I can't find a decent video format. I just need to carry 20-30 DVDs around with me on the airplane along with these 3 batteries is what you are saying.

Guess I need to re-ask my question in the Final Cut forum. How to use Apple Compressor to make a high quality video file that an iBook can play. The iBook section is the wrong place to ask about the iBook's video capabilities, haha. 😝

Is there anyway I can delete my question from this thread?

Jul 25, 2011 2:12 PM in response to Ronda Wilson

I already asked in the Final Cut forum. I have too many versions for too many devices and my content server is almost full. Seems the iBook's CPU can't handle anything over standard definition, or anything highly compressed in h264 even in standard def. It is just too CPU intensive. However, if anyone else has a similar problem, the good old AVI and DivX codecs work fine although I hate them.

If you have a widescreen video, it is best to encode it to standard def 640x480 with matte bars in avi or mov format for the good ole iBook.

Thank you for your quick responses! 🙂

Best video format to encode for playback on iBook G4 1.2GHz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.