Previous 1 2 Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2014 1:13 PM by e3lco
Paradox Life Level 1 (5 points)

This is a potential temporary fix for those users of Lion who are unable to fix the reversed mouse scroll wheel issue. I myself have a Microsoft Arc Mouse (not the touch version but the original version) and when I went into the mouse system preferences there was no checkmark box option to return the scroll wheel to its original configuration. When I called Apple about it I was told it's an issue with Lion not recognizing the mouse as being able to reverse the scroll wheel and that Microsoft will need to update the firmware to allow for this change. On a whim, I tried out my wife's Logitech mouse (can't remember the model but it's a fairly recent one) and checked the system preferences. This time there was the checkmark box to allow the scroll wheel to be returned to its original configuration and I could use the scroll wheel as normal. When I plugged my Arc Mouse back in, the scroll wheel had reverted to its original configuration of rotate the wheel down for down scroll and up for up scroll.

So, for those of you who are unable to correct your scroll wheel through preferences, you might want to try plugging in another mouse, making the correction in system preferences, and then plug your original mouse back in.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), Mouse scroll wheel
  • Pierre Joris Level 1 (5 points)

I use a Logitech M505 wireless mouse, but don't get the checkmark box in the preference pane you mention. Unhappily dont have another rmouse handy here. If anyone comes up with another solution to reverse the mouse scrolling, please let us know.

• Paradox Life Level 1 (5 points)

According to Apple, if when you check system preferences and there is no checkmark box, that's an issue with your mouse's manufacterer's firmware/software. The manufacterer needs to put out an update for your device that addresses the issue. In the meantime, maybe you could borrow a friend's mouse to try out the fix I listed above.

• Pierre Joris Level 1 (5 points)

You're right! There was a check box, though i didn't think it applied to this problem — redaing more carefully, I realized it could, unchecked the box, and hurray! the thing scrolls the good old way again. Thanks for quick reply.

• LexSchellings Level 6 (8,804 points)

Thank you to post this, Paradox!

• Josh_P Level 1 (10 points)

I have a MacBook Pro and on mine I just changed the setting on the trackpad, and it changed it for my mouse.

• Paradox Life Level 1 (5 points)

It's possible the changes made to the trackpad setting may end up tying into both input sources (mouse and trackpad), however for those that use an iMac and don't have the magic trackpad accessory, you will not be able to access trackpad in the system preferences.

• mortone Level 1 (0 points)

It´s correct that the scroll direction changes made on the Trackpad WILL change the scroll direction for the mouse.

There is another way. Use a little utility called Scroll Reverser.

http://blog.pilotmoon.com/post/4041089648/scroll-reverser-get-in-practice-for-li on

• madmonkey Level 1 (0 points)

Is it possible to set up the mouse scroll direction other than the trackpad direction ?

• William Donelson Level 4 (2,495 points)

App le: We are god. Do it our way or else, sheesh.

I had to go next door and borrow a WINDOWS mouse to make my Macintosh work. Crazy.

The thing is, under 10.7.1 I had that option, now with 10.7.2 it's gone.

as I said already in several posts:

the Lion direction is the same as you would do on a touch screen, If you want to change that use a free utility called Scroll Reverser, and you can set all directions too.

William, do you mean it, or was your post to madmonkey sarcasm?

• William Donelson Level 4 (2,495 points)

I mean it. Apple makes major changes in the way things have worked for years, then makes that change the default, causing 1m people to struggle. Bad Bad App le.

There other changes like this in Lion as well, which are arbitrary and are "App le" policy now, which even App le themselves do not follow! (e.g. Cmd-Delete for "Don't Save" in a few App le applications, where 900 million people have used Cmd-<first letter of button> already, for years)

And yes, I did have to go next door and borrow a mouse. "Why?" they said... "I have a Mac" I said. "<laughter> get a real computer" they said. App le does itself no favors by pulling this stuff.

Many of us cannot buy new equipment when arbitrary changes are made, and "get a new driver" is a slap in the face, especially when such changes as Reversing scroll for many-millions could easily be done by making the "new way" an Option, not a default.

Don't get me wrong, Mac and iPhone etc are way ahead of MS and all, but the rabid arrogance inside App le is App aulling.

But if you bought a Mac, at least you read the VERY few pages on how to use it?

Like one touch mouse: hold the Alt key to have the Rightclick effect on windows, or on the Trackpad.

Use any two button mouse if you cannot live with that. But at least read some pages of the manual...

I would never let you drive my car if it is different from the one you have.

What if you buy a new car: would you buy the one that was produced 10 years ago, or the new model (let alone for the coffeemaker.

I am not patronizing, this is a real comment.

Previous 1 2 Next