Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you reset DNS to default?

I made the transistion of an actual upgrade of my Snow Leopard Server to Lion Server. I was only using it for a few things, File Service (AFP, SMB and NFS), VPN, Airport Extreme management, and DNS. It's DNS that seems to be the big issue right now. DNS is up and working but I cannot edit the existing information at all. Server Admin (which now seems to be around just for services that haven't migrated to 'Server') can't seem to load and display the information. I use DNS just for internal names and I forward every other request to my ISP.

I really don't need for Server Admin to be able to salvage the old information. It was only about a dozen entries, easy to re-enter. How do I reset DNS to default so I can re-enter my data? Is there a command-line approach similar to Apache?

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 6:19 AM

1 reply

Jul 26, 2011 8:57 AM in response to Sevenfeet

Sevenfeet:

I had/have the same issue. For some reason server admin lost track of the DNS information. I worked with the files in (/etc/named.conf) and /var/named seemed correct but server admin could not find/read the zone database files in /var/named. I moved the old files out of that directory and restarted server admin. It came up with a blank database. I reentered the zone information and things started working again. The problem appears to originate frok a corupt entry in one of the zone database files. What that entry might be I'm not sure yet as I can't reliably duplicate the problem. The only problem was server admin had located the zone database files in the top (/) directory of the HD. It appears that server admin now believes that's where they should reside.

I need to find where to reset or change where server admin locates these files to put them back into /var/named.

Your thoughts ?

Dennis

How do you reset DNS to default?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.