Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMovie 11 not recognizing video files?

Initially, I thought my problem was the motion-jpeg video format. Could not get them to import into iMove 11 on my Mac at home. But, in a previous thread, AppleMan1958 was able to successfully import my file into iMovie. Now, I'm at work and can confirm that iMovie 9 imports the files with no problem. So, the issue is with my home Mac and I'm at a loss. Just installed iLife 11 at home on my Intel iMac. Running 10.6.3. The Mac meets the system requirements for iLife. When attempting to import videos (either directly from the camera or from the hard drive) they are simply grayed out and cannot be selected. Thinking my OS was missing some component, I did a reinstall of 10.6.3.

The video files are fine. They play in QT Player and have been imported and edited on two other Macs. So, any ideas what could be wrong with my home Mac? I should also say, I tried to import the videos into iPhoto as well. It said the file format was unrecognizable.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 12:49 PM

10.6.3 is several point releases old. Have you considered upgrading to 10.6.8?

4 replies

Apr 6, 2012 5:19 PM in response to jheilman

I've got 10.6.8 but have this exact same problem. Everything is grayed out. I suspected that maybe the MP4 files from my GoPro camera were corrupted, but then I went to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1425 and downloaded "sample_mpeg4.mp4" and even that wouldn't import into iMovie or iPhoto. It's grayed out in iMovie and says the file format is invalid in iPhoto.

Any suggestions?

IMovie 11 not recognizing video files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.