Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rosetta Support

Is any one else upset about apple dropping support for Rosetta/PowerPC Applications? I spent good money on software that require this and I am not about to upgrade until a solution is found for this.

Lion Upgrade-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7), Rosetta/PowerPC Apps

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 8:32 AM

13 replies

Jul 25, 2011 8:48 AM in response to Richard Philips

Apple like all companies can't support Legacy Hardware and Apps forever, and PowerPC/Rosetta is prehistoric. Intel is a much more stable platform and allows 64bit apps as well. If companies haven't dropped PPC support yet, they are at fault not Apple. Like others have mentioned if it is that big a deal to keep running 5yr+ apps, then keep a copy of 10.6 or 10.5.

Jul 25, 2011 9:00 AM in response to Charly Avital

Another question is: is Rosetta compatible with Lion?

There's the important question - and the answer is almost certainly no. There are at least two things that kept Apple from including Rosetta in Lion. First, Rosetta was licensed from Transative, it isn't Apple technology. To include it in Lion would have required Apple to license it again. Second, and almost certainly the killer, Rosetta is a 32 bit technology and Lion is 64. The hurdles of making Rosetta work in Lion without rewriting it as a 64 bit application probably made it a non-starter. Given that it has been 5 years since Apple dropped the PPC platform, developers who continue to actively support the Mac platform already have Intel native applications, with a few exceptions. Intuit being most notable in its lameness.

Aug 5, 2011 12:58 AM in response to dwb

I do have some "legacy" applications that I need to be able to continue using for business purposes (I don't need any lectures on this). Maybe someone will bring out some emulator software (the equivalent of Parallels which runs Windows and apparently works with Lion) that will emulate essential parts of the Power PC OS and run those old apps?

In the meantime, to prepare for Lion, it would be useful to have an app that checked all of my applications for compatibility (or at least the need for Rosetta) and listed the ones I will lose. Too late once I have installed Lion.

Aug 5, 2011 11:43 AM in response to Charly Avital

So, it is easily installable - you should just run custom packages install from 10.6.x dvd and select ONLY Rosetta, but...

It does not work:

Last login: Fri Aug 5 22:33:51 on ttys000

UNIT-5697:~ DS$ /Applications/PhotoFlair.app/Contents/MacOS/PhotoFlair ; exit;

Launch of "PhotoFlair" failed: the PowerPC architecture is no longer supported.

I'll look into it a bit more

Aug 5, 2011 12:58 PM in response to dmdimon

No, Rosetta will NOT work.

I managed to run it manually - but it crashes, I mean crashes not some application, but Rosetta translator itself:

Process: translate [330]

Path: /usr/libexec/oah/translate

Identifier: translate

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000ffff8020

I think we should forget it.

Rosetta Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.