Previous 1 2 Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2011 7:18 PM by coxorange
coxorange Level 1 (45 points)

I would like to use a picture from my Aperture library as desktop background. How can I do this?

• ChoppyWill Level 1 (45 points)

Right click on your desktop, select 'Change Desktop Background', within the menu on the left there should be a drop down arrow called Aperture in here will be your Aperture events and photos in which you can select a picture.

Screen Shot 2011-07-25 at 19.22.48.png

• coxorange Level 1 (45 points)

Thanks for your answer.

I've tried it, but I only get preview images (?) in a low resolution -- not the Original pictures -- as desktop background. Is this normal?

Then I turned off previews in Aperture and deleted the current previews. After that, when I select 'Change Desktop Background', in the menu on the left there are only empty folders of my projects.

Any idea what's wrong here...?

Umm sounds odd, it could be a permissions issue. Try opening Aperture while holding down the command and option keys, this will then give you three options, try the first option, if no luck try the second option.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 (25,715 points)

I've tried it, but I only get preview images (?) in a low resolution -- not the Original pictures -- as desktop background. Is this normal?

Yes it is normal. iLife sharing (which is what is happening here) shares the previews.

If the resolution isn't sufficient for your needs delete the previews on the Images you want to share, go into Preferences and increase the quality of the previews and then regenerate those previews.

First option: didn't help

Second option: didn't help

Then I re-activated/re-created previews, but then, when I select 'Change Desktop Background', in the menu on the left there are still only empty folders of my projects.

Frank Caggiano wrote:

If the resolution isn't sufficient for your needs delete the previews on the Images you want to share, go into Preferences and increase the quality of the previews and then regenerate those previews.

Do you mean I can always only use previews for the desktop background? If I would like to be able to change my desktop background often and quickly, then I would need to create high-resolution previews (2560 x 1440) of all my pictures?

I really thought that would have solved the problem, you can view the images fine in Aperture yea? My desktop pictures are from my Aperture library and it uses the original pictures, which it has to as i have a 24 inch screen!

ChoppyWill wrote:

I really thought that would have solved the problem, you can view the images fine in Aperture yea?

Yes, of course.

ChoppyWill wrote:

My desktop pictures are from my Aperture library and it uses the original pictures, which it has to as i have a 24 inch screen!

Frank Caggiano - how can this be...?

BTW I'm using a 27" iMac.

Hmmm... Is there a way in Aperture to reveal the original pictures in Finder?

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 (12,510 points)

The Media Browser is shared by many Apple apps. It uses the Previews of your Aperture Images.

The quick (and easy) way to put a full-size Aperture Image as your desktop wallpaper is to right-click it in Aperture and export a large JPG to somewhere convenient (the Desktop folder is convenient).  Then right-click the desktop and change the background to this newly-exported file.

Thanks Kirby!

After export/right-click/change - could I then delete the exported JPG or will I have to keep it as long as I want this as desktop background?

coxorange wrote:

Thanks Kirby!

After export/right-click/change - could I then delete the exported JPG or will I have to keep it as long as I want this as desktop background?

If you delete the image after you have set it as the backgroud it will eventualy disapear. So you will need to keep it as long as long as you have the background set.

I found a way to use my Original! I used 'Find any file" (App Store) to find the location of my Master.

(was /Users/home/Pictures/Aperture Library.aplibrary/Masters/2011/07/03/20110703-120721/MyFile8546.jpg)

Then I right-clicked to open System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver and dragged MyFile8546.jpg to the preview area.

• Ernie Stamper Level 8 (37,545 points)

That Master will not reflect any editing you may have done on the image.

Ernie

Previous 1 2 Next