Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How well will my Mac run snow leopard?

So, I have a 20" iMac purchased in July of 2008, and I am currently running OS X 10.5.8, and I am considering upgrading to Snow Leopard. I have a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of RAM, 300GB HDD, and my graphics card is an ATI Radeon 2600 Pro HD. I wanted to know from users who have similar or the same Mac model I have who have installed Snow Leopard, and to tell me their experiences with it, I do not plan to clean install it so I would like to hear from those of you who haven't either. The only reason I am considering this is because of the Mac App store, it not for that I would have no reason to upgrade.

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 2:03 PM

Shouldn't be any great problem installing and using SL. The retail installer doesn't touch your applications, data or preferences, just replaces the system files with the updates.

You may, however find some problems with third party apps needing updates (notably Adobe as usual). Appleworks and other PPC apps will need the Rosetta installation (custom install). Note that if you're moving to Lion, PPC apps will have no support at all.

Printer, and especially scanner drivers will most likely need updates (if they're available).

The retail installation is 10.6.3, so you'll need to update to 10.6.8 via software update, or preferably the combo installer downloaded from Support. You may also need the supplemental update.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2011 2:03 PM in response to Lord Immortallix

Shouldn't be any great problem installing and using SL. The retail installer doesn't touch your applications, data or preferences, just replaces the system files with the updates.

You may, however find some problems with third party apps needing updates (notably Adobe as usual). Appleworks and other PPC apps will need the Rosetta installation (custom install). Note that if you're moving to Lion, PPC apps will have no support at all.

Printer, and especially scanner drivers will most likely need updates (if they're available).

The retail installation is 10.6.3, so you'll need to update to 10.6.8 via software update, or preferably the combo installer downloaded from Support. You may also need the supplemental update.

How well will my Mac run snow leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.