Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I create a partiton to install Snow Leopard, can I get that space back later?

I just upgraded to Lion, I checked most of my software to make sure it was compatible, but somehow forgot about Pro Tools 9, and I now have decided to install Snow Leopard on a partition in order to run Pro Tools 9, my question is, if I make a partition, say 50 GB, can i ever get that 50 GB back when Pro Tools 9 becomes compatible with OS X Lion? I have a MacBook Pro 13-inch (latest, thunderbolt), with a 500 GB hard drive. Responses apreciated

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 1:46 PM

Hi b,

You'll definitely be able to get it back, it just depends how much moving around you might have to do. Worst case is deleting the partition, cloning to a different HD, re-partitioning the HD, and cloning back. There are also apps which allow re-partitioning.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2011 1:46 PM in response to bigluc23

Hi b,

You'll definitely be able to get it back, it just depends how much moving around you might have to do. Worst case is deleting the partition, cloning to a different HD, re-partitioning the HD, and cloning back. There are also apps which allow re-partitioning.

Jul 25, 2011 2:17 PM in response to bigluc23

bigluc23 wrote:

So disk utility wolnt allow me to reclaim that space for my main Lion partition?

You've already seen the answers to this, and they are correct, DU should be able to do this. Note that DU has in the past sometimes had issues restoring a partition in this manner, which is why I explained that in the worst case scenario . . . . It may be that DU is better at this these days, but I know from personal experience (and posts here) there were issues in the past, so I do not count on it. ymmv

If I create a partiton to install Snow Leopard, can I get that space back later?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.