Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the Virtual Screens?

Hi,

I downloaded the latest ARD 3.5 from the App Store Today...

The main window shows all of my other computers on the net and the macs

all show ard 3.5.1

I am running Lion on all of the macs.

I can select any of the macs and hit the contol button and get the screen of

the target mac ok...

The help file asserts that I should be able to use a virtual display

to log into one of the other macs without disturbing the current user

I cannot find any way to invoke the virtual display mechanism.

What am I doing wrong.

Jerry

ard-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 3:09 PM

6 replies

Jul 25, 2011 6:21 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Templeton Peck wrote:

Where are the virtual screens?

get info on any of your clients, then click the control and observe tab and set the option.

Did that but there was no change in the behavior. I tried the ask me option and it never did ask...

I have another mac running Lion and ARD sees the rascal and can send messages to the beast

but it cannot connect ( I have remote management turned on ...)

Getting sorta frustrated.

Jerry

Jul 25, 2011 6:37 PM in response to Jerry Levan1

Jerry Levan1 wrote:

Templeton Peck wrote:

Where are the virtual screens?

get info on any of your clients, then click the control and observe tab and set the option.

Did that but there was no change in the behavior. I tried the ask me option and it never did ask...

I have another mac running Lion and ARD sees the rascal and can send messages to the beast

but it cannot connect ( I have remote management turned on ...)

Getting sorta frustrated.

Jerry

Ok, toggling the remote management button enabled a connection from the Administrative

machine...Still no sight of virtual screens...

Jerry

Jul 25, 2011 8:19 PM in response to Jerry Levan1

Ok,

I found some virtual screens 🙂....

If I attempt to connect to any of the macs from one of my linux boxen via vncviewer I get

a login screen.

If I choose a different user and I start typing the password BEFORE the cursor

flashes three times I can actually login as a different user. If nothing is typed

quickly the cursor quits flashing and nothing works....

Looks like there might be a timing problem.

When I log out I cannot do any more connections from the login screen and have to

kill vncserver to try again.

When I try to connect to a mac from one of my macs and choose the virtual screen

the login screen pops up on the target mac !

The source mac gets a black screen.

If I change back to the hardware display I see the 'rotating' screen one face is the

regular targets screen and the other face is the login screen from the target machine.

Looks like the mac gets confused about which screen should be displayed on

either machine if the virtual display is picked...

Jerry

Jul 26, 2011 3:40 PM in response to Jerry Levan1

User uploaded file

Virtual Displays are only offered if someone else is logged into the console of the remote computer. If the user whom you're authenticated as is logged in, it'll just join the console session. So, create a 2nd user and enable this user in Remote Management or Screen Sharing. Then, add this users credentials in the Get Info section of the client machine in Remote Desktop. You can then create a virtual session if you have one of the appropriate options selected in ARD's Control & Observe prefs.

Where are the Virtual Screens?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.