Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Actual App Size (iTunes is incorrect)

Does anyone know how to determine the true size of an iPhone app (including any content the apps may have downloaded within themselves)?

The Economist, for instance, shows that it takes up 3.3MB in iTunes, whereas in PhoneView (a rather limited 3rd party program) you can see that just the documents folder within the app bundle is over 150MB.

I know this is not a problem with The Economist app because I download the full audio of two full issues. Meaning the "problem" is within iTunes.

As you can see, the apps take up a lot of space on my phone (there are 359 apps) so I'd love to be able to better manage them, and PhoneView does show the contents of the apps, but in a very slow and tedious way where you have to survey each and every folder within each and every app.

-and as a side note, I'm familiar with the 'File Sharing' part of iTunes. All of the apps that are capable of file sharing are carefully managed (but the Economist, for instance, doesn't allow File Sharing)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhone 4, 32GB

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 3:39 PM

The size shown in iTunes is merely the "installer", it includes no app data or the final size of the app once installed on your phone. App data is stored in only two places: on your phone, & as part of your iPhone backup.

24 replies

Jul 27, 2011 5:30 AM in response to Radamradam

I haven't got anything helpful for you, but you're not the only one looking for this kind of thing.

I just spent a bit too long going through the iTunes window for how much memory my apps should take up (i.e. I tallied up the individual memory required for each app): according to iTunes, it's around 7.4GB, but the actual memory consumed is 9.6GB - so there's a hefty chunk of added information that it's missing.

Like you, I want to find just WHAT is taking up that memory and probably get rid of some of it, but right now I can't find a way to do that. I assume a great deal of it is Kindle books and the like, but I wish I could figure out what's "worth" that kind of memory consumption to me and what isn't.

Actual App Size (iTunes is incorrect)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.