Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Widget doesn't work after updating to OSX 10.6.8

After installing the latest batch of updates, my sudoku widget doesn't work anymore. Anyone else having a problem like this, or know how to fix it?

I noticed on the website which created it that others are also having this problem in the last few days:

http://briandeboer.com/posts/sudoku-20-approaching-beta-status/

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 3:40 PM

13 replies

Jun 13, 2017 6:19 PM in response to Trent Curtis

Hello mate,

I'm having the same issue as you are on my grandmother's computer.

Naturally the application is working but the icon is missing (crucial for the old timer).

I tried everything, the app works and exists but there is no way to interact with the icon or any sign of is.

This happened after I used a terminal string to get rid of it (to her horror. Now she won't know the time in london).

I found a solution which works.

Enter into terminal and put the following.

'defaults delete com.apple.dock; killall Dock'

This may put the dashboard icon back along with everything else your mac came with (rather than reinstalling them all).

Jul 26, 2011 6:01 PM in response to Trent Curtis

For me DVD Releases and Tivo NowPlaying have stopped being able to connect to its website or my Tivo respectively after I updated to 10.6.8. I tried deleting the com.apple.dashboard.client.plist and com.apple.dashboard.plist from the (Home)/Library/Preferences folder, but all that ended up doing was making me restore all of my widgets. Those 2 still don't work.

The supplemental update yesterday didn't change anything.

Jul 27, 2011 12:42 PM in response to Trent Curtis

I'm having the same problem. I noticed the last bunch of updates said they were preparing things for making things compatible with Lion, assuming you will upgrade to that. I can only assume that that version of Sudoku, also my favorite, does not work at this time with Lion. I installed these updates with Software Update on my iMac, but didn't get around to doing that on my new MacBook Pro. The Sudoku widget still works fine with 10.6.8 on the MacBook Pro. So it isn't 10.6.8, its the latest bunch of updates and I think the Lion thing. Hopefully the writers of that widget will update it.

Jul 27, 2011 2:05 PM in response to portraitpainter

Thanks for the clarification, portraitpainter. Very much appreciated.

Don't hold your breath, though, about it being updated. The website it comes from hasn't been updated in literally 5 years (July, 2006):

http://www.briandeboer.com/

So, it doesn't look like he will be updating it anytime soon. I've tried other Sudoku widgets, but none of them are as good as this one. Unfortunately, however, all of them still work. Figures, right?

Thanks again for your help.

Aug 9, 2011 8:02 PM in response to Trent Curtis

Someone posted the following on the Sudoku widget website:

"Just wanted to add to my previous post. This widget uses images “.png” files so the font issue has not affected it’s performance. After some digging I found WebKit2 was bundled with the latest Safari update (5.1 and 5.0.6). WebKit2 uses a whole bunch of new APIs rendering some old ones obsolete. My guess is as good as yours, but most likely the SudokuC controller inside the widget is referring to one of those obsolete APIs."

Does anyone know what this means, and can explain it to someone, like myself, who is not a programmer?

Also, does it seem like a relevant solution and/or cause of the problem?

Thanks!

Sep 7, 2011 5:48 AM in response to Trent Curtis

Same problem here. I'm on 10.5.8 and yesterday I updated Safari and Java for Mac so I guess it's one of those that causes the Sudoku widget to not function properly anymore. Gonna try to revert to the previous versions using time machine, not sure if this will work.

If anyone has a solution, it would be more than welcome. The Sudoku widget was great on the train or just when passing some time and it doesn't waste any paper either ;-)

Erik

Sep 7, 2011 6:26 AM in response to Erik Bulckens

I tried using Time Machine, but couldn't get it to work. If you're successfull, please let us know.

It's a shame this widget doesn't work anymore. It was by far my favorite, and the one I used most often.

If anyone knows how to fix this, please contact me. At this point, I'm willing to pay someone through PayPal if you can get it to work.

Widget doesn't work after updating to OSX 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.