Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup assistant/Migration assistant not working

I'd like to import an account from my elderly PowerBook G4 (running 10.5.8, all updates applied) to my brand-new MacBook Air (mid-2011 model). In theory, Lion will accept anything from 10.5.3 or later, but in practice, it isn't working. More than half an hour on the phone with Apple Support produced no explanation or solution.

The setup assistant on the MBA says that the G4's version of Migration Assistant (1.2.3 (177)) needs to be updated. Apple Support says that 1.2.3 is the updated version, and therefore that it ought to work. Both computers are on the same wireless network (yes, it would be nice to do this over Firewire, but MBA's don't have a Firewire port). Both the MBA's setup assistant and the G4's migration assistant say "Looking for other computers..."

Apple Support eventually shrugged and suggested that I spend the next day or two creating a Time Machine backup (I'm not kidding about the time estimate: that's what it took the first time I ran one, and I turned it off months ago because when it kicks in, that poor little machine comes to a standstill) and then hoping that the MBA is somehow able to see the Time Machine backup.

Does anyone have any suggestions that (1) involve a proper migration, not a manual copying of files and re-creation of settings and (2) have a chance of being faster than a Time Machine backup? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 5:01 PM

12 replies

Jul 26, 2011 7:29 AM in response to mthomashow

mthomashow wrote:

I'm trying to move files and applications from 10.5.8 to 10.7.1

As far as I can tell Migration is Assistant is updated.....there are no other files available in the Apple downloads area except those regarding Snow Leopard

You can't transfer directly from Leopard to Lion via a network. You must use Firewire, or do it from Time Machine or "clone" backups. See Using Setup Assistant on Lion

Jul 28, 2011 1:35 PM in response to Pondini

Thanks for this last point. I did finally get a Time Machine backup made, on a disk that could be physically plugged into the MBA.

It took far more hassle than I expect from Apple products, and it's real cute how they require you to hand over a credit card number to get the "free" software updates (this apparently is a special feature reserved for MobileMe customers: tech support said that the free accounts are only available to people who aren't already paying Apple regularly), but I think it's all running correctly now except for iCal (conversion problems from the so-called upgrade to MobileMe some months ago).

Aug 13, 2012 11:42 PM in response to sfsv

We just migrated from a black 14-inch Macbook running OS 10.6.8 to a new 15" Macbook Pro running the latest OS.

We originally connected the computers via Ethernet and tried the MIgration Assistant. The new computer saw the old computer but the old computer did not see the new one and just hung. We then tried this with Firewire with the same results. We downloaded the upgrade to Migration Assistant as per someone's suggestion here but it would not install (wrong OS).

My husband did not have a full/recent Time Machine backup, so I ultimately set up his old Macbook in Target mode (reboot and hold down the T key) and connected the two laptops via Firewire. You need a special cable as the new Macbook Pro has a different Firewire connection. The new computer sees the old computer as an external drive, and all files are accessible.

We used Migration Assistant on the new laptop and chose to copy from a DISK rather than a computer. It popped up immediately with my husband's old computer and we selected his account and it was moved automatically (in about 5 hours). It recreated his user account and settings, and moved over all his files.

Copying everything using Migration Assistant is really the best way to go to get everything you need and have it stored where you expect to find it. Do it right away as you are starting the new computer. And if it doesn't work by choosing the computer to computer option, boot your old computer in target mode to have the new computer see it as an external drive.

Then be sure to upgrade any software programs that won't work on the new OS.

Best of luck!

Aug 14, 2012 12:49 AM in response to GothamPhotog

GothamPhotog wrote:

We just migrated from a black 14-inch Macbook running OS 10.6.8 to a new 15" Macbook Pro running the latest OS.

We originally connected the computers via Ethernet and tried the MIgration Assistant. [...]

Copying everything using Migration Assistant is really the best way to go to get everything you need and have it stored where you expect to find it. Do it right away as you are starting the new computer. And if it doesn't work by choosing the computer to computer option, boot your old computer in target mode to have the new computer see it as an external drive. [...]

Well, MBAir poses problems, no FW. At least the oldie MBP and the newbie MBA saw one another.

But Migration Assisstent progressed twice without fully reaching end of process. First time it hung with about 1/2 of an 8 hr job left. Second time was Real Weird! It showed 13 min. left and then began to count backward, 14 min ..., 20 min... when it said another 01:20 left, I stopped the process. - All software freshly installed and serial numbers entered. Hours went by.

Migrating may or may not be all that smooth. -- Ren

Setup assistant/Migration assistant not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.