Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic login does not work after installing Lion, even though preference is set to automatic login. Help?

Automatic login does not work after a complete shutdown after installing Lion, even though preference is set to automatic login. I either have to enter user ID and password, or I can hit restart and it will boot up fine. Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 4:46 PM

14 replies

Aug 8, 2011 10:03 AM in response to Photo23

I'm running Lion on a brand new 2011 iMac, and I'm having the same problem. Virtually everytime I turn on the computer, the login screen pops up, even though I have automatic login enabled. When I log in to my account, the computer acts as if I don't have a wireless card installed. I've discovered that simply restarting my computer at this point resolves the problem. It's annoying that this happens virtually everytime I log in, though.

Jan 3, 2012 3:45 PM in response to Photo23

System Prefs: Security & Privacy: tried to enable "Automated login": But no check box available in front of "Require password .... after sleep ..." and the option "Disable automated login" was greyed out even after unlocking the system preferences with the admin password.

Solution: Disable Firevault 2 (you need to authorize by clicking on the icon in the lower left corner and type in your admin password FIRST before you can change anything). then this checkbox in front of "Require password .... after sleep ..." reappears. Then you also can uncheck the option "Disable automated login" under "For all accounts in this computer". Then "Automated login" option is enabled again in the system preferences:

Go to "Users & Groups", choose admin account, clicking on the icon in the lower left corner and type in your admin password FIRST before you can change anything, then click "Login options" and choose under "Automated login" at the top right in the pulldown menu the account that you want to log in automatically after start of Mac OS X Lion.

This ONLY works with Filefault 2 being switched OFF! Unfortunately after having turned on the Filefault 2 there is no indicator that Firefault 2 needs to be switched off again to reintroduce this "Automated login" feature.

Hope that helps.

Feb 17, 2012 4:57 AM in response to Photo23

I have the exact same issue, with the same video issues as tasador and I also notice that when I log in by putting in my password the system gets terribly slow and none of my "open at login" items work. That is resolved when I restart. Firevault was disabled by default from the beggining, so that can't be it.

However, startup only asks me for a password if I shut down the computer by clicking on the Apple icon on the top bar and selecting the Shut Down option (even if I keep the "reopen windows when logging back in" option checked, it won't launch my "open at login" items like iCal and Evernote). If I shut it down with the keyboard (using the ctrl + opt + cmd + eject shortcut) it won't ask me for my password the next time I startup and all of my "open at login" items are launched properly (as well as any apps I might have left running). This command also seems to shut down the wireless keyboard automatically (but you still have to turn off the mouse).

Mar 3, 2012 8:47 PM in response to Photo23

On the Imac this problem appears to be related to bluetooth device discovery. If bluetooth devices are activated prior to startup, automatic login is disabled and a login is required. Also, graphics and wireless are adversly affected when this occurs. I've tested startup prior to activating bluetooth and automatic login always works. You'll know the problem is happening if you see a progress bar during startup.

There is another thread on this same subject - hope this helps.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3216818?start=0&tstart=0

Automatic login does not work after installing Lion, even though preference is set to automatic login. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.