Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MiniDisplayPort to RCA... Doesn't Exist! Options??

I have a MBP Unibody and a projector with RCA in. I'd like to go from my MBP to the proj., but currently there is no MDP (minidisplayport) to RCA. Super annoying.

Would the next advisable option be MDP --> DVI (or VGA) --> RCA?

Which would throughput a higher quality signal, VGA or DVI, or does it not matter?

Since the projector isn't HD (RCA inputs = quality cap), I don't need HDMI cabling or anything on the exuberabtly expensive side.

What do you guys think is the best way to go about this? Cost isn't really a limiting factor, but I'm not expecting this to be a huge bill... 3rd party adapters to Apple's overpriced MDP --> (anything) adapters are more than welcome... if they work!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), MBP 17" Unibody

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 7:17 PM

Hey Sin,

HDMI is not appropriate for an RCA whatsoever, so the only way would be what you said, and that would be MiniDisplay to VGA, then VGA to RCA. Both give about the same quality output, so yeah!

-Email me if you need anymore help

youyouxue@me.com

Sincerely,

You You Xue

@youyouxue

4 replies

Jul 25, 2011 7:47 PM in response to Sin Cohen

IMO you're ok using mDP --> VGA --> RCA. It's RCA input to the projector so there's no sense even trying for higher resolution. And since there are plenty of mDP-to-VGAs around to choose from (all fairly cheap, google 'em) and also apparently plenty of VGA-to-RCA's to choose from (at least what I saw doing a search on Amazon for "VGA to RCA adapter") you might get this to work.

MiniDisplayPort to RCA... Doesn't Exist! Options??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.