Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture cannot Move Files to System Trash - External Hard Drive

My Aperture library, and my master files all exist on an external hard drive. ... Since updating to Lion, I have not been able to delete files through Aperture. And when I continue, the files are still on the hard drive, I just cannot find them in Aperture any longer.

I have tried all these options.

User uploaded file

And,I have tried using the finder to assign ownership of all files on my external drive to me.

Always, the result is these three windows.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro 2.4, Dual 1.8 G5, iMac, MacMini, and X-Server, Mac OS X (10.7), Aperture - Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EOS 5D, Adobe RGB, Raw im

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 11:39 PM

Sounds like you are having the same problems that many of us are experiencing.

Here is a pretty extensive thread on the referenced master problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3192306?tstart=0

8 replies

Jul 27, 2011 2:24 PM in response to Jack Foster Mancilla

Jack:

I had a similar problem after upgrading to Lion with another photo management program. It turns out I had to reset the trash for that external drive.

The instructions are here http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10357452-263.html

Read that article carefully, putting a space in the wrong place will erase your drive.

After following the directions, I had to manually throw a file away for OS X to make a new trash folder but after that everything works as it should.

Good luck.

Jul 28, 2011 8:41 PM in response to Tom Rockwell

Tom,

Thank you very much. ... That was the ticket. ...

But, for all who need this fix please heed Tom's words, and the words in the article he references. Or, you will erase your hard drive. ... It might be good for you to build the command in a text editor first, so you can really check what you are telling your computer to do.

Jul 28, 2011 9:12 PM in response to Tom Rockwell

I forgot to mention that I could, on the external drive while using Finder, put items in the trash and delete them. ... It was just Aperture that could not delete the files. ... After following the steps in the article, Aperture can now delete the files as well. ... Now I need to go clean up the files that were not deleted, and now are stranded in my referenced master folder.

Aperture cannot Move Files to System Trash - External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.